Agnostic.com

7 9

LINK Pete Seeger, Once Blacklisted Is Now On US Forever Postage Stamp

Back in 1955 Pete Seeger was forced to testify before House Un-American Activities Committee. They sentenced him to prison. Now he's on a Forever Stamp. [historymatters.gmu.edu]

barjoe 9 July 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thanks Joe. I've shared to "Traditional and Folkmusic".

Though I've just checked - it doesn't seem to have come through. Please feel free to copy this post & paste it as a new post into "Traditional and Folkmusic".
Thanks.

So you're saying there's hope for me.

Don't let them blow in the wind. Congratulations to Pete for this long overdue recognition.

I'm almost out of stamps. The last batch was otters. The next will be Petes! 😂

I remember well one weekend day in the early 90s, sitting at home watching Pete on PBS on my little 12-inch black-and-white TV. He played a piece by Bach, Jesu Joy of Man's Desiring, on his banjo, and I thought, "I can do that on guitar!" So I started picking away at it, figuring it out, playing by ear. I did not have to struggle with it; it came to me easily, like it was meant to be. It's still one of my favorite pieces to play. I do it as the first and last parts of a two-song medley. For the middle section of the medley I do a Grateful Dead song called Stella Blue. It's been a long time now, since I played anything on the guitar. Too much work with hammers, and jackhammers, and screws, and screwdrivers...and chisels, and paint, and paint brushes. And left-hand monkey wrenches...

I like Pete. Imagine how upset some of the right will be about this stamp. They would rather see Josh Hawley honored by the postal service but he keeps running away.

About time!

Everything's about time. haha

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:678732
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.