Agnostic.com

6 4

Maybe, an important step in this country’s political system. Just hope it’s not too late. I am a big believer of such a move. [yahoo.com] ”...a Gallup poll last year showing a record two-thirds of Americans believe a third party is needed.”

JackPedigo 9 July 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not a third Party. What we need is multiple parties representing a variety of views on both sides of the spectrum, like most other countries have. A third Party would just split whichever Party they branched out from and assure that they could never win an election in the vast majority or races. If Progressives broke from the Democrats, it would be hard to imagine either of them winning in any election against a unified Republican Party. If Trumplicans split from Republicans, it would insure many more wins for Democrats. If there were 5 or 6 Parties representing various factions of both, they would have to make more effort to represent the outsiders.

. . . "third party" ?

. . . for those who might not know, it has been done (many times) before :

[en.wikipedia.org]

The Dems and GOP will lock ranks to prevent that from happening, by fair means and foul. For example on the rare occasion a third party candidate gets into a state legislature, the Dem/GOP just make sure ANY bill they propose goes nowhere. So when it comes time for reelection, they just claim "Look, they got nothing accomplished!" IE the American political system is FAR too corrupt to ever let a third party in the door.

Yep, Bernie is the exception.

@MizJ There's always the possibility that a charismatic leader might arise and sweep a third party into power. Not much of one though.

@Druvius AOC and her crew would be a good start, the amount of misogyny in the US prevents this from being a viable option unfortunately.

Ask those two-thirds of Americans to identify what they want a third party to do. Good luck.

Any party with enough voters to win any election anywhere will attract donors to the party’s winning candidates.

It's easier to enslave people with only a two parties system
Your owners will tell you on how and what to think anyway.

If you want a center right party, you've already got one, the Democrats.

Indeed, thanks to neoliberalism.

Outside Primaries the voters have not indicated that they want leftist politics. Bernie (whom I voted for twice) would likely not have done better than HRC (who won the popular vote by 3 million). POTUS Joe has been having a tough time passing liberal bills so I don't see a Progressive doing better.

I'm a fan of the ranked voting system and the candidates for both sides of each Party, liberal and conservative, should be candidates in it. Maybe a Centrist for each, as well, for six candidates. The voters could choose the preferences and the winning two candidates become POTUS and VP. We could get a split Party Admin but it would be an interesting time.

I do not consider Democrats center right but far left. Besides, the big problem is the two parties have gotten extreme and can't seem to agree on very much.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:678771
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.