Agnostic.com

4 13

LINK 4,000+ Children Died: Pope Apologizes to Indigenous Groups in Canada over Residential School Abuse | Democracy Now!

(Saying your sorry that so many children were tortured to death, is not enough.)

Pope Francis is on a historic trip to Canada this week to apologize for the mistreatment suffered by thousands of Indigenous children in residential schools run by the Catholic Church. Many survivors say the apology comes over half a century too late and the church should take further actions to prevent the psychological, physical and sexual abuse from recurring in Catholic-run institutions. We go to Toronto to speak to Mi’kmaq lawyer Pamela Palmater, who says the apology was little more than “pomp and circumstance” for the church, which ultimately “doesn’t take responsibility for their policies and practices.” Her Toronto Star op-ed is headlined “Another pope’s apology isn’t enough when Catholic Church’s cover-ups and hypocrisy continue to this day.” ...

snytiger6 9 July 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Too little too late

Yerp, an apology without reparations and full cooperation with law enforcement investigating past and current offences is just insulting.

Now let's see the Pope put his money where his mouth is.

It's not just the deaths that bother me. The intent behind those "schools" was to erase the indigenous cultures and force those children to become like Catholic Europeans. It's completely offensive. First Nations peoples did far less damage to the land, they respected the Earth and didn't view it as something to plunder for profit.

MizJ Level 8 July 28, 2022

You are correct. I forget the title but I saw a movie on this once.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:678784
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.