Agnostic.com

11 5

LINK Alito Decries 'Hostility to Religion' in First Public Remarks Since Abortion Decision

US Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito ridiculed foreign leaders who criticized his opinion overturning the constitutional right to abortion as he made his first public remarks since the court issued the ruling last month.

Speaking in Rome at a religious-liberty summit sponsored by Notre Dame Law School, Alito also decried what he called “growing hostility to religion.”

In his 35-minute remarks, delivered on July 21 but made public Thursday on the school’s website, Alito listed outgoing UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson, Prince Harry, French President Emmanuel Macron and Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau as leaders who had denounced the ruling.

“I had the honor this term of writing, I think, the only Supreme Court decision in the history of that institution that has been lambasted by a whole string of foreign leaders who felt perfectly fine commenting on American law,” Alito said.

“One of these was former Prime Minister Boris Johnson, but he paid the price,” he quipped, drawing laughter from the audience.

Johnson, who announced his resignation July 7 amid a succession of scandals, had called the Supreme Court ruling a “big step backwards.”

Alito then sarcastically pointed to Prince Harry’s speech at the United Nations July 18, when the prince said it had been a “painful year” and mentioned the “rolling back of constitutional rights” in the US.

“What really wounded me was when the Duke of Sussex addressed the United Nations and seemed to compare the decision whose name may not be spoken with the Russian attack on Ukraine,” Alito said.

Alito said the decline of faith in the Western world had left believers vulnerable to discrimination.

“The problem that looms is not just indifference to religion, it’s not just ignorance about religion,” he said. “There’s also growing hostility to religion, or at least the traditional religious beliefs that are contrary to the new moral code that is ascendant in some sectors.”

The Supreme Court last month bolstered religious rights in a pair of rulings. With Alito in the majority, the court gave public school teachers and other staff more freedom to pray in public spaces and beefed up the rights of parents to use taxpayer funds for religious education.

Alito, a Roman Catholic, has been perhaps the court’s most ardent advocate of religious rights, at times casting believers as aggrieved for abiding by their faith. He said in his latest remarks that Christians had been persecuted for centuries, including in Rome’s Colosseum, where “who knows how many” were “torn apart by wild beasts.”

Alito, sporting a beard he doesn’t have when the justices are on the bench, said religious liberty “promotes domestic tranquility.” He argued that advocates need to make the case for preserving protections against discrimination.

“Unless the people can be convinced that robust religious liberty is worth protecting, it will not endure,” he said.

OldMetalHead 9 July 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Which religion... Just yours?... Asshole

In what I have read over the years I can say that Christians have the market on treating people like shit, hacking them up, and on a good day just murdering them. If we think they are going to now be good that is on us for they will not, dog told them so.

You know it seems to me that these people will give you the argument against them if one waits long enough or just listens. Supposed to be a separation between church and state, isn't there?

" Religious liberty promotes domestic tranquility". That worked out so well in Northern Ireland....

For the longest time religious liberty also promoted racialized slavery. But that’s another myth Christians love to wallow in: They remember the religiously motivated abolitionists, while conveniently ignoring the Biblically justified slave owners, who were the majority.

Holy shite, this is the guy Will Smith should have slapped! First, he repeats the Big Lie that Christians have been persecuted for centuries, when in fact it was only about 10 years in total of formal Roman anti-Christian edicts over the first 3 centuries of Christianity’s existence. This is well documented in Candida Moss’s book “The Myth of Persecution: How Early Christians Invented A Story of Martyrdom”. And once established as Rome’s official religion, the bulk of persecution was BY Christians, not AGAINST them, in the ensuing centuries. But by claiming otherwise, party hacks like Alito put forward a very dangerous idea: That Christians have a right to “defend” themselves against a hostile world. But when you’re used to occupying a position of privilege, then equality does feel like persecution, I suppose. Pathetic.

The hypocrisy is strong with this one...

How about hostility, on his part, towards freedom and democracy, fuckface?

There's not a growing hostility to religion ... there's a growing hostility to efforts to make evangelical Christianity the law of the land.

Alito - another of Catholicism’s slaves.

His decision, based on his religious beliefs, has definitely increased my hostility, so I suppose that’s a self-fulfilling “prophecy.”

Jesus Harold Christ on a Graham cracker this wop is stupid!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:678913
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.