Agnostic.com

3 2

LINK These are the 4 types of atheism - Big Think

I think this categorization is a bit confused.

By 'The nonreligious' I think the real term is Apatheistic. Simply not religious and not interested enough even to call themselves a something. Many young people fall into this category.

By 'Emotional atheists' it is meant to refer to people browned off by religion for various reasons, but that , “to be angry at something means, at some level, [you] have a concept of its existence'. Nonsense. You can be angry at what religions do and the dangerous ideas of religion, without some lingering sense of its existence.

By 'Social atheists' I think this refers to what I call New Age pseudo religionists. I don't consider these people atheists at all really. They are residue religious people, sometimes calling themselves agnostic.

Now 'Antitheists' is the one category I think the article gets right. That's me. No doubt where we stand.

The rest of it, about atheists really sort of believing in some kind of supernatural ideas, well that's an old trope that should be dismissed. If people really are atheists, and call themselves that, then they are beyond all that nonsense, in my view.

Basically what the article categorizes atheists in some cases, I wouldn't.

David1955 8 July 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It comes from a religious apologist source, and reflects their thinking.

Thanks for that. As I read it, it sounded like propaganda. Then, ending with a C. S. Lewis quote, and reiterating his claim to have originally been an atheist. The implication being that atheists can readily become Christians. They still went with the Christian definition of atheism, which is simply wrong and seeks to offend. Sucks to be them.

@racocn8 Their experiment, if it deserves that name, is invalid, since it contained no control to test if atheists, just felt uncomfortable using the word god. Such as for example they could have asked everyone to make a positive statement including the word god.

I have no disagreement with your view of atheism. I think it an unsatisfying view for human nature to embrace but that’s a question of strategy. As a Zen Taoist I also don’t believe in a single, omnipotent, Being so our goals converge. Neither of us are growing much as a share of the population so we are probably not going to gain power.

I never believed in an invisible being that resides somewhere beyond the clouds.

The Bible is just a book of stories or fables written by men. Like Aesop's Fables. I realized this at age five.

Most of my friends are Christians. We don't talk about religion. They love me for who I am.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:679008
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.