Agnostic.com

4 4

The United States is Narcissistic. Here are 12 signs of a Narcissist and I contend most describe the United States perfectly.

1. Grandiose sense of self

Feels superior to others and believes they deserve special treatment
    Often accompanied by fantasies of unlimited success, brilliance, power, beauty, or love

2. Excessive need for admiration

Must be the center of attention
    Feels slighted, mistreated, depleted, and enraged when ignored
    Often monopolizes conversations

3. Superficial and exploitative relationships

Bases relationships on surface attributes and not unique qualities of others
    Values people only to the extent they are beneficial to themselves

4. Need for control

Perfectionistic
    Becomes upset when things don’t go their way

5. Lack of empathy

Severely limited or totally lacking the ability to care about the emotional needs or experiences of others, even loved ones

6. Identity disturbance

Sense of self is highly superficial, extremely rigid, often fragile, and easily threatened
    Self-stability depends on maintaining the view that one is exceptional
    Retreats from or denies realities that challenge this view of self

7. Difficulty with attachment and dependency

Relies on feedback from the environment
    Relationships exist only to shore up a positive self-image
    Tends to avoid intimacy; interpersonal interactions are superficial

8. Chronic feelings of emptiness and boredom

Feels empty, bored, depressed, or restless when attention and praise are not available

9. Vulnerability to life transitions

Difficulty maintaining reality-based personal and professional goals over time
    Feels overwhelmed by compromises required by school, jobs, and relationships
    May have “failure to launch” syndrome when young

10. Lack of responsibility

Blames others for their faults
    Deflects responsibility onto others, often with those close to them

11. Lack of boundaries

Beliefs others think the same as they do
    Feels shocked and insulted when told no

12. Fear of rejection

Afraid of being wrong or seen as bad or inadequate
    Does not develop trust in the love of others

FvckY0u 8 Aug 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

A few other characteristics...

For narcissists, everything is transactional.
This doesn't exactly fit because the US has an ugly history of going back on its word, and betraying those that put trust in the relationship.

Although hinted at by your other elements, narcissists are bullies and behave in an abusive manner to everyone in their circle. Certainly the adoration of machismo in the U.S. fits.

The counterpoint to acting macho is the default position of cowardice. Bullying the weak and disenfranchised also fits well. This dovetails with the 10. Lack of responsibility and 12. Fear of rejection. As we saw with Uvalde, cowardice is abundant among the macho crowd, and fingers get pointed everywhere else.

Also on 12's Fear of Rejection, and 11's Lack of Boundaries, we can classify the disposition towards White fragility. If things don't go their way, they throw a tantrum. The reversion to childish behavior can be quite striking. Trump's tossing the fries at the kitchen wall comes to mind...

@FvckY0u Sounds to me like you have an Anti-American perspective.

@FvckY0u Chelsea Manning had security clearance. So did Edward Snowden.

@FvckY0u The fact that you have clearance, in and of itself doesn't mean I have to agree with your point of view and in my opinion your post (not you) is Anti-American. I'm not questioning your patriotism, I just disagree with you. When you brought up your security clearance, I brought up Bradley Manning and Edward Snowden, not to compare you to them. I just wanted to make a point that having clearance and being a G-15 or whatever you are, doesn't make your post fair to the United States. It's bad enough the foreigners on this site trash America.

@FvckY0u You're entitled to your opinion as am I. I don't feel threatened, I just don't agree.

32 years ago or so, my mother introduced me to a book called "The Culture of Narcissism". It fits perfectly.

I read that book when it first came out and still have it on my bookshelf. I remember former prez Jimmy Carter talked about that book when it came out during his administration and praised it for its critique of America then, and all he got for it was being blasted and then getting clobbered by Reagan in the next election. Most Americans can't handle hearing hard truths, esp. about themselves and their country, even tho they know deep down that something has been very wrong for a long time.

@FvckY0u It certainly stirs up the rage in them, but some lucky ones get diagnosed and into treatment for it. A whole nation can't do that, unfortunately.

@FvckY0u Yes, although there are a few. I dated one once 😟 Therapy has to be rigidly adhered to, and has to be ongoing. It's on a spectrum too. The more severe it is, the more they don't admit they have a problem. Sometimes it's diagnosed during marital therapy, as this guy's was. His marriage broke up anyway, and his wife also had borderline personality disorder. What a pair!

No argument from me. I think narcissism is what makes up American Exceptionalism.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:679367
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.