Agnostic.com

5 1

Who remembers the days when the US sought people, apprehending them to bring them to face justice, upholding important principals like trials/ evidence and allowing both sides of the story to be heard in a court before judgment? The days we refused to lower ourselves to their level because we in the "West" believe in and defend the law aka due process?

Now, the US President will just seek to "take you out", ignoring the sovereignty of other nations borders, if you are considered a "threat by whoever is POTUS at the time. Godfather/ mafia stuff.
Thug life.
[msn.com]

puff 8 Aug 1

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What moves you to be clutching your pearls over this?

The position of POTUS represents the US to the world. As such they used to be careful in their language aka diplomacy. American presidents were admired.
Dunno when the slide started, probably Clinton's cigars. But maybe it's just my memory is more vivid than most but a POTUS acknowledging and proudly owning a CIA assassination in a third neutral (tongue in cheek here, Taliban not exactly "neutral" ) country with a direct threat of more to come aka "take you out" spins me out. There is no pretense anymore of moral superiority, just revenge which is a somewhat base emotion.
Perhaps I'm just mourning times past, but I stand by he came across as thuggish which I didn't expect nor had seen before from an adult POTUS. (Trump was Trump, an anomaly and this sort of thuggery was expected of him, but not "adult" presidents).
A shame the US no longer inspires or even pretend to inspire. Never obvious more than that press conference.

I do not remember Any time when other nations allowed us to willy-nilly enter & arrest their nationals, and then try them, nor do you.

I say getting this asshat to cease breathing is a good thing and method be damned.

You are for assassinating political figures then whom you consider an "arsehat", method be damned. I look forward to arsehats in the US ceasing breathing. Many to choose from.

@puff been thinking about how I could help/assist/facilitate with several removals.....I never ask anyone to do anything I would not do myself.

You mean the days before terrorism when all countries were part of international treaties? The US has characterized terrorists like Al-Qaeda and the Taliban as combatants in a war that we are in with them. I suggest you read this article;
[law.berkeley.edu]
"In short, the United States government has concluded that the attacks of September 11 have placed the United States in a state of armed conflict, to which the laws of war apply. It has also determined that members of the al Qaeda terrorist network and the Taliban militia are illegal combatants under the laws of war, and so cannot claim the legal protections and benefits that accrue to legal belligerents, such as prisoner of war status under the Third Geneva Convention of 1949."

How do you deter a suicide bomber? Do you mean back in the day where every country would extradite a bad person? Just how do you propose to have brought this particular terrorist to justice? Did the Americans beheaded by ISIS have a trial? It used to be in war both sides played by the rules, terrorists don't play by any rules. Seems a little unjust to require the US to play by the rules but the terrorists don't have to.

lerlo Level 8 Aug 2, 2022

could it be argued that "due process" was forfeited by this man and will be by his successor?

By that logic Biden having just threatened to "take out" any he identifies as a threat justifies them (the "threats" ) preemptively taking Biden or other US assets out without due process as Biden as POTUS clearly threatened them.
If this is the way the law now works, think we have anarchy.

@puff biden has nothing to do with it. it came with the job for both leaders to do what the job they have called for. nothing so romantic. everyone signed up for it.

@hankster In this particular case the CIA sought presidential approval for the strike. Biden owned it.

@puff so what. his job in part is to protect American interests. would Zelenski be out of line to use a drone or a pea shooter if he had putin in his sights? I think not.

@puff the game these terrorists are playing is not much different than one we played as children except now it has become hide and seek and kill.

There's a lot of shit wrong with a lot of shit, and this, I'm sorry to say, doesn't move the needle for me anymore. I know that's probably a shitty thing to say, but it's true. Every single person in Afghanistan could get killed by an American drone strike and it wouldn't affect my life as much as say getting a girl pregnant when she no longer had access to abortion services. There's too much that can drastically, negatively impact my life going on that I just don't have enough givable fucks to go around anymore.

It gets like that I know. Take some time to smell the flowers and tune out of media for awhile is best

@puff Not knowing about the bad shit that can fuck up your life doesn't stop the bad shit from fucking up your life...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:679410
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.