Agnostic.com

9 10

Apparently I made a post, that was in opposition of a few (maybe many) fellow members here.

Regarding a parent being charged with murder, after his 6 year old retrieved a gun and accidentally killed the 5 year old sibling.

I sometimes forget that the whole world doesn't follow gun violence in America, in the obsessing and clinical way that I do, and have for over a decade.

So to be clear, my post, and my outrage regarding said "murder charge" was exacerbated today, when I thought to research just how these shootings happen and proceed through the Justice System.

I realize it's an emotional issue for some, I get that. It isn't for me. I am strictly interested in the legalities. Why???? Because it's nonsensical. More guns, more guns, more guns, no laws.

So I studied this and here's the realities:

More gun accidental Shootings By Children
[npr.org]children

BUT!!!! Are they deemed "accidental"?????

Felony Charge in unsecured gun
[flaglerlive.com]

Charges vary when a child accidentally injures or kills by a secured or unsecured gun
www.desmoinesregister.com

How unusual is it to charge parents in school shootings? EXTREMELY RARE
[pbs.org]

*-Accidental Shooting: How rare are changes**
[denverpost.com]children/

Mother Charged With Manslaughter in death of Father
[nytimes.com]

Accidental Shooting. Guns and children
[npr.org]children

My only point was, Murder First Degree for One, no charges for others, misdemeanor charges for others.

It's either or it's not. You can not charge a 6 year old AND HIS MOTHER for charges that aren't even laws.

Let's get honest. The 2nd Amendment does NOT claim we can own guns simply for owning guns. (Sorry gun fans and 2nd Amendment junkies. Unless you belong to "A WELL REGULATED MILITIA" there are NO Constitutional gun"rights"... " )

So emotions aside, what do you want? All people. What's going to make everyone less aghast?

If you own a gun, and have children, accidents happen. If you take your 6 year old to a gun range to PROPERLY explain the dangers of guns, are you really negligent? (Yes, some will say that's too young. It's it???? You have guns. When is to young to explain safety???)

I've dramatically changed my opinion. Guns need to go. We aren't going to win against our militarized police. We aren't going to win against rightwing terrorism. Only 437 self-defense cases have been adjudicated this year. So what???? Either guns rule our life in America, or we start being smart.

#itsuptoyou

SeaGreenEyez 9 Aug 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As soon as a kid shows an interest. A friend showed his daughter how to handle a knife when she was 3. She was his fishing' buddy and from the moment she was aware she was dad's girl. Her older sister was total opposite. Both are smart women today. But from the earliest moments both were educated when the interest in something was expressed. The family did not have TV by choice.
I for one really appreciate your posts.

What, you haven't heard of the Children's Militia? They are obviously extremely well regulated.

Right?

You have a problem, it is that you are good at reasoning and concerned about you fellow human. The gun problem is not going to bee solved until the people of thee country want it to be solved.

I came back to read this and noticed the batteries are getting low on the keyboard. All the double letters.

Some people say "I was raised with guns. I know how to treat guns. The rest of you just don't understand."

Other people say "I was raised in a family with incest. It was commonplace for the brothers and sisters to fuck each other. The rest of you just don't understand."

“Well regulated” seems to have been written with invisible ink for some people.

It's the mental defectives that imagine that they are part of a well-regulated militia that worry me.

Great post thanks

Negligent homicide should be the charge and yes they should be prosecuted fully. People need to use gun locks and keep their firearms away from children.

I have no use at all for firearms.
In the military I was an expert marksman.
I got out, bought a gun, found it to be so inaccurate I deemed it to dangerous to own.
I returned it to the gun store, they told me no rebates, I said keep it anyway, just give me a receipt so if it's used in a crime I can prove I returned it.
In the 80's I almost felt a responsibility to own a firearm, which is why I bought that one, but that was enough for me.
Hallelujah, I'm free of NRA corruption and racial insecurity now.
No guns required.

I own a gun because I compete with it. It is accurate to less than 1/4 moa (within 1/4 inch over 100 yards) and I compete at ranges from 300 to 900 metres. I manufacture my own ammunition because commercial ammo is not consistent enough for competition. My guns are kept locked in a safe to which only I have the combination, the guns have also got trigger locks and the safe is covered by cctv. Pretty useless for "self defence".. In my country a licence to own a firearm is as good as a character reference as you cannot get one if you are not of good character or have ever been convicted of intentional law breaking. That includes DV offences or serious driving offences.

@Cyklone you can find something else to compete with. Maybe something intellectual.

@BitFlipper you're really missing the point. In my country we have NO problems with gun crime or shooting sprees but we do have very rigid controls on who can own a gun. A lot of things people compete with are deadly, bows, swords, boxing etc.

@Cyklone I'm not anti-gun, just anti-American-gun policy.
All countries make owning firearms difficult.
The Americans are all in or all out.
We sell military assault weapons to pissed off teen age boys that can't legally buy a beer, and we wonder why we have a mass shooting ever 14 fucking hours.
Bu this logic we should let middle school kids buy and consume alcohol.

@Willow_Wisp yeah, the rest of the world is dumbfounded by the stupidity of your lawmakers, no law for guns and rigid laws to stop abortion. There is no diff between america and any other fundamentalist religious country like afghanistan.

I still feel, even if the parents object, the footage of the carnage at these killings, especially of the children, should shown on the news. The support for the Vietnam War changed when footage and photos of what goes on in war were shared by the networks. I don't know if you noticed, but this coverage did not happen in the wars that followed.

war footage has been given credit for ending the Vietnam war. With that in mind, when the second Iraq war started, I made color pictures of an Iraqi grandfather carrying his war mulated child in his arms and added the Bible verse

"Suffer the little children to come unto me"

We made six copies per sheet of paper and printed thousands. Then we loaded up our cars and visited the biggest Baptist Church in every little surrounding town and put them on the windshields while people were in church. No one even complained in the local papers so we were ignored. The only reward was the good feeling we got doing it. I wonder if showing the Carnage will ever make a difference again. We are bombarded with real and entertainment Carnage daily anymore.

@Lorajay Sadly, becuase it was their people, not our people.

Ever see the movie Johnny Got His Gun? Now there's an anti war statement.

@silverotter11 I need to look it up.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:679532
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.