Agnostic.com

4 13

GOP Caves: Vets Bill Heads to Biden.

The PACT Act, which will help veterans suffering from illnesses caused by toxic burn pits, now heads to the president’s desk.

The GOP vote to block the bill spurred veterans to show up outside the Capitol in protest, some of whom had been camped outside of the building for days. Jon Stewart, who has advocated on behalf of veterans for years, joined them and tore into Republicans as “stab-vets-in-the-back senators.”

“If this is America first, then America is fucked,” Stewart fumed.

But on Tuesday, Republicans folded and agreed to move forward on the bill on the condition that they could get votes on three GOP amendments. Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) wanted to reduce aid to other countries to help pay for the PACT Act. Toomey wanted to classify funding for the PACT Act as discretionary versus mandatory. Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.) wanted to shift veterans care into private community care.

All of the amendments failed.

Just before the bill passed, Sen. Jon Tester (D-Mont.), the bill’s sponsor, tweeted a video of Stewart hugging him and thanking him outside the Capitol for getting the bill done.

“My man, pots and pans!” Stewart shouted at Tester.

“You brought this thing through and you made this happen,” he said, walking with his arm around the senator. “And these guys know that, and they appreciate it.”

[huffpost.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They only do the right thing after we have held their nuts in a vise for a week.

Even though the GOP is beholding to the corporate lobbyists they often bow to masses of voters who protest their stupid moves. Right now they want to gain a majority so they don't have to listen to the voters but they can't disenfranchise the voters until that time comes (if it ever does).

They wanted to stop aid to your vets. Just speechless. Crying instead.

I Have read the thing and know discretionary versus mandatory the gop was pushing for is bullshit! SO happy the amendments failed and it now goes to Biden. 🥰🤗🥰
The poles in WA State have not closed yet so there are no results yet. I will be curious to see how the gop fares in this primary.

Hopefully, the two who voted to impeach shithead will win. Never thought I'd be rooting for a republican.

@JackPedigo I think Newhouse is ahead.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:679555
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.