Agnostic.com

4 8

Do we like our friends because they stink like we do?

[bigthink.com]

skado 9 Aug 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I love the smell of my children and grandchildren, nieces and nephews, I think because they have my genes, so they feel familiar, and I like to snuggle with them. I loved the smell of my ex-boyfriend, unless he'd been eating garlic and onions or spicy foods. I don't know if it had anything to do with the fact that he used the same cologne/scent as my dad.

I've been turned off by the smell other friends and possible romantic partners, so I keep my distance. Therefore, I think there is something to that smell of familiarity. I think it's also that when we're eating the same foods, there is an attraction to the odor of our companions. That's why eating together as a family or dining out makes a good date! If ordering similar options for the menu.

I loved the fact that my husband smelled different than me. I purposely made sure he used a different soap so that would continue.

I think that the personal cleaning products that we use affect our odor. That means, I don't understand how modern humans real odor can be sensed.

We do try our best to cover it up in most social circumstances.

Off course it is probable that personal cleansing products are made to enhance the smells we like, not get rid of smells altogether.

we're all dogs.

always on full sniff

@skado hmmm....if we didn't have smell would the world be friendlier or more paranoid?

@hankster
On the days I don’t smell, the world seems friendlier 🀣🀣

@skado I'll have to try that.

Are you suggesting that I'd do anything pheromone?

You tell me! 🀣

@skado
This, together with a sense of awe and majesty might account for my incipient, inchoate religious naturalism.

@skado

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:679564
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.