Agnostic.com

41 6

Do you believe in love.

Do you believe in love? If so how do you describe it? Emotional/ physical? For me I see it only as a chemical/ biological reaction. I have never and probably will never get it. So your answers may help enlighten me.

Fluffykytten 5 Dec 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

41 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Love is indeed a chemical and biological reaction. Just like everything else which makes us as organic life forms tick.

That being said, the chemical and biological processes are merely background activity. It's the end result which is important

Love changes. As a young person it is a combination of physical and sexual attraction, a deep appreciation of the other, a desire to share time and space with the other. As one ages, and if the relationship is real, it shift toward simply appreciating the presence of the other, an appreciation of how the other completes one's own life, of simply being glad to share he same life space and be there for each other. It is not as passionate, but just as deep and real.

There is more to love than a chemical and biological reaction, that just describes lust. There is the shared intellectual, emotional, as well as the physical which in time may lose some of the intense excitement but gains in depth and contentment. 🙂

Betty Level 8 Dec 5, 2017

I would think the emotions involved cause the release of the hormones, not the other way around.

That is how I stayed sane after divorce, when I learned that Love can be anything and anybody it does not have to be a partner! Filled me up and since than I am a happy single person!

Hell yes! I love, love and wouldn't want to live without it.

gearl Level 8 Dec 5, 2017

It happened once, so I know it exists. But she died, and now I'm an emotional shell.

Romantic love I experienced three times and two ended badly. Then there is the love of your children ,the love of your pets ,the love of friends and relatives.If you have not experienced at least one of these you are very unfortunate . But if you don’t love your self (Not in a narcissistic way) I mean in a self respect way this can lead to negative consequences . I always think if you never loved a person and you were never able to love a dog ,cat or other creature then there is definitely something wrong psychologically .

I think it is scientifically reasonable to take a reductionist approach to describing love in terms of brain chemistry, etc. Nevertheless, I find it more meaningful and satisfying to embrace the sense of wonder and beauty that experiences or even thoughts of love elicit in me.

The experience of love is most powerful for me when it involves shared empathy with another person that I trust.

‘Bait’

I found
a love nest
nestled deep
in my mind
And then
the bird flew
away, leaving
unhatched eggs
in an uncovered
bowl of straw

[gandholi.wordpress.com]

That's a sad poem.

It could be sad, but a bit ludicrous as well.

ludicrous in that it's all in her mind?

Because of the strong image it creates of eggs in an uncovered bowl of straw, if you see just the image without the context, then it's a bit funny...

I'm not sure about the funny part. The image of eggs in a nest? That seems like they're still more vulnerable. Or, it's supposed to be ah, that's so cute? I'm also not sure about the title 'Bait". Is the 'ah, that's so cute' the bait?

Seems like it's time for AstralSmoke to become AstralBeverage...

I think what we perceive as love is a chemical reaction masquerading as happiness that tricks us into breeding.

I have had sex many times without love. Sex is an activity.

Ah, I was taking the post to mean romantic love.

When in love, I’m both at peace with the universe and my body. That said, the person that brought me that peace can upset me like no other.

Loving someone is like giving them permit to brake you but trusting them not to!

Love is a many faceted idea with different meanings to each of us. Oh, we may share some portions of our idea of love with others, but I don't think you'll find a consensus.

That being said, remember that we are biological organisms and the biggest difference between human beings and most of the other biological entities on this planet is that we have reached a point where our brains are capable of carrying on abstract thought processes -- we call that mind and mind is who we are.

Mind is affected by everything that happens in our bodies, by external experiences, by our environment, and much more. We are social animals and that means we have a built in capacity to empathize with others, to form bonds with others. The key word is 'animal'. This thing we call love is generated by chemicals/hormones, our natural desire to be with others of our species, those hardwired tendencies that we call instincts.

What does it all mean? Well, if one bases their entire understanding of love on how it feels when those hormones are rushing along, being pushed by the instinct to procreate -- to preserve the species -- then it is a coin toss whether a lasting relationship will come of it. I think, and this is entirely personal, that to form a lasting relationship there needs to be a bond (friendship) associated with it from the beginning. Just my two cents.

I don't even believe in the word "believe."

Lust is the gateway drug to love. 😀

Yes I do, and I want to experience it again someday.

Wow, everyone seems smarter than I in this. It's like biological warfare.

@irascible yes, but no. It can be daunting up against this intellectual crowd, but I haven't given up yet. Well, maybe. It's past my normal bedtime.

Yes, I believe in love. It has had far, FAR too much impact on human history to be nothing more than sexual combustability. I submit for example, my love for my wife of twenty years. Would I leave her if she were disfigured in an accident? Absolutly not. The place she holds in my heart is so much more than the chemistry of sex or attraction (and visa-versa). I have come to have such an intellectual and emotional bond with her, that I can't imagine her NOT being part of my life. We've just shared so much, I don't have enough of "me" left to even begin another relationship of similar intensity. I had a lot of prior partners based on enjoyable friction, but none like my Kellie. And yes, we are both atheists.
One of my requirements for a life partner, is the ability to ask their opinion on anything, and to truly care about how they answer.

Beyond that Chemical thing:
Love is caring more about someone else than you do for yourself.

I would like to believe that healthy love exists but what I thought was love was control, security and physical need. You have to have your shit together before you can think about the possibility of Love. I know I'm ready now.

In the immortal words of Nazareth:
Love hurts

YES YES YES.... Love could be anything,not just a men,,,or I can love a men without having him! When you have love you are not alone....you just love everybody including your self!
I am never alone because I love my company!

But to answer the question straight up... YES I BELIEVE IN LOVE. I SEEN IT MYSELF.

Looking at your child asleep, that's my perfect love.

i have lost in the idea of love and come to the resolve that i will remain alone

Reminds me of the song -- "Love is a Long and Slender Thing"
😀

Lol. Reminds me of that song, "Love is a Battlefield"

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6800
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.