Agnostic.com

1 6

LINK A Texas church illegally performed 'Hamilton' to spread anti-gay bigotry

The Christians at The Door McAllen church in Texas are ignoring that pesky “Thou shalt not steal” commandment this weekend and illegally staging a production of the musical Hamilton...

... A Texas church illegal performed 'Hamilton' to spread anti-gay bigotry | Hamilton sign at the Richard Rogers Theater in Times Square, New York City
Hamilton sign at the Richard Rogers Theater in Times Square, New York City (image via Shutterstock)
Reading Time: 4 minutes

The Christians at The Door McAllen church in Texas are ignoring that pesky “Thou shalt not steal” commandment this weekend and illegally staging a production of the musical Hamilton.

You can even see a preview of the show in this sermon from August 3 at the 27:10 mark:
YouTube video

That’s not a cringe-worthy Christian parody of the show. It’s, like, the actual musical… or at least a high-budget attempt at replicating it.

Except Hamilton gets “saved” after his son gets killed in a duel.

And Hamilton allegedly says, “What is a legacy? It’s knowing you repented and accepted the gospel of Jesus Christ that sets men free. You sent your sinless son of man on Calvary to die for me.” ...

(From what I have read, Hamilton was at least bisexual or if not a married gay man. So, I wonder if they would have done this has they known.)

snytiger6 9 Aug 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

How was it illegal?

"Copywritten"...and I sincerely hope they're SUED!

Plays and Musicals are supposed to receive royalties from production companies. Permissions is supposed to be asked for and granted before any changes are made to a production, or for parodies.

Even though I have worked in entertainment, entertainment law is very complicated, but suffice it to say they violated copyright laws and failed to get permission(s) to make changes and pay royalties to the composers/authors.

The laws are in place to protect artists work from being usurped and used in ways which demeans the value of the work (Play).

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:680229
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.