Agnostic.com

14 10

LINK Travis McMichael, the man who killed Ahmaud Arbery, is scared someone will killed him in prison, lawyer says - TheGrio

Oh, darn!

Associated Press
|
Aug 6, 2022

SAVANNAH, Ga. ✈ — The white man who fatally shot Ahmaud Arbery after chasing the running Black man in a Georgia neighborhood says he fears he will be killed by fellow inmates if he’s sent to a state prison to serve a life sentence for murder.

Travis McMichael, 36, faces sentencing Monday in U.S. District Court after his conviction on federal hate crime charges in February. His defense attorney filed a legal motion Thursday asking the judge to keep McMichael in federal custody.

Attorney Amy Lee Copeland argued McMichael has received “hundreds of threats” and won’t be safe in a Georgia state prison system that is under investigation by the U.S. Justice Department amid concerns about violence between inmates.

On Feb. 23, 2020, McMichael and his father, Greg McMichael, armed themselves with guns and jumped in a pickup truck to chase Arbery after he ran past their home just outside the port city of Brunswick. A neighbor, William “Roddie” Bryan, joined the chase in his own truck and recorded cellphone video of Travis McMichael blasting Arbery with a shotgun.

The killing of Arbery became part of a larger national reckoning over racial injustice amid other high-profile killings of unarmed Black people including George Floyd in Minneapolis and Breonna Taylor in Kentucky.

In Georgia, the McMichaels and Bryan were sentenced to life in prison after being convicted of Arbery’s murder in a state court last fall. They have remained in a county jail in custody of U.S. marshals since standing trial in February in federal court, where a jury convicted them of hate crimes. Each defendant now faces a potential second life sentence

Once the men are sentenced Monday by U.S. District Court Judge Lisa Godbey Wood, protocol would be to turn them over the Georgia Department of Corrections to serve their prison terms for murder. That’s because they were first arrested and tried by state authorities.

For Travis McMichael, “his concern is that he will promptly be killed upon delivery to the state prison system for service of that sentence,” Copeland wrote in her sentencing request. “He has received numerous threats of death that are credible in light of all circumstances.”

Copeland said she has alerted Georgia’s corrections agency, “which has replied that these threats are unverified and that it can securely house McMichael in state custody.”

Greg McMichael, 66, has also asked the judge to put him in federal rather than state prison, citing safety concerns and health problems.

Arbery’s family family has insisted the McMichaels and Bryan should serve their sentences in a state prison, arguing a federal penitentiary wouldn’t be as tough. His parents objected forcefully before the federal trial when both McMichaels sought a plea deal that would have included a request to transfer them to federal prison. The judge ended up rejecting the plea agreement.

“Granting these men their preferred choice of confinement would defeat me,” Arbery’s mother, Wanda Cooper-Jones, told the judge at a hearing Jan. 31. “It gives them one last chance to spit in my face.”

A federal judge doesn’t have the authority to order a state to relinquish its lawful custody of inmates to the Federal Bureau of Prisons, said Ed Tarver, an Augusta lawyer and former U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Georgia.

“She can certainly make that request,” Tarver said of the judge, “and it would be up to the state Department of Corrections whether or not they agree to do that.”

Copeland’s court filing refers to a prior agreement between the judge, prosecutors and defense attorneys to keep the McMichaels and Bryan in federal custody “through the completion of the federal trial and any post-trial proceedings.” She argued that means Travis McMichael should at least remain in federal custody through appeals of his hate crime conviction.

HippieChick58 9 Aug 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

14 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

He brought it on himself.

Oh well, since he’s in for life, being killed by other inmates will get him out of prison then. Win, win in my book.

Oh, wait, should I (we) give a rat's ass? It would free up valuable air for somebody else IMO

He might be right. Someone might kill him in prison. If he has this fear he also knows very well that what he did was wrong.

Not necessarily...he is probably still in denial...it is generational racism we are talking about here...not to mention imagine if you will ... What the conversations are like with his family back home? They are going to carry on the hatred and try to spread it and console his sorry ass at the same time...and (not IF but WHEN) anything happens to him...well, that just reinforces their biased opinions...best thing that could happen is he is left in solitary for the rest of his miserable LIFE...give him plenty of time to think about the error of his ways...POS

Poor darling...GO FUCK YOURSELF😂😂😂

He should not be given preferential treatment. He committed a hate crime of murder. You reap what you sow should be the answer to his request.

Betty Level 8 Aug 7, 2022

Karma is a bitch, isn't it, you murdering ASSHOLE!

Gee, that's too bad. Isn't it? I mean really, it's too bad. I feel for the guy.

I'm just fuckin' with y'all. Send his ass to the Georgia State Pen. My money is on day 16, while he's taking a dump.

My response to him" "Tough shit, you vicious bigot!!"

How's it feel sucka? It's not nice to live in fear - something too many non whites, women and children are forced to deal with on a daily basis.
It was the same question I had in my mind when all those house members were ducking under seats, running through hallways and barricading themselves in offices on Jan. 6.
Did not sink in for long with too many as they continue to refuse to get rid of high powered assault weapons being sold to the general public.
I sincerely hope the judge refuses to let them serve their terms in federal custody. Not just for Arbrey's family but make the state pay for their incarceration. State right's matter -hahahahahaha🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬.

Oooooh, poor baby..so he thinks someone might do him the way he did Ahmaud..guess he needs to learn how deep throat the members of the Brotherhood..and swallow..
lololololololololol

If that were a defense for getting out of prison, then prisons would be empty.

He fucking murdered a kid who was out jogging, for Christ' sake. He should be afraid that shit will come back to him.

It is my deepest hope that that shit will come back on him.

Touche'.
Just imagine how it must feel to fear that every cop is going to kill you when your tail light burns out.

IKR!

Or sleeping in your bed..

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:680239
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.