Agnostic.com

2 3

Why Some Vaccines Last A Lifetime and Others Don't

[cedars-sinai.org]

skado 9 Aug 8

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Interesting. Thanks.

This is easily sorted. Define vaccine, scientific consensus. ATM the key words in the definition are "provide immunity" [google.com.au] but this needs defining scientifically ie define providing immunity.
Firstly, immunity means protection. Acknowledge nothing is 100% with individual humans and biology/ medicine. But quantify the meaning of what protection is.
I would propose providing immunity be at least 90% effective, meaning 90 out of 100 receiving the medicine attaining immunity ie protection.
Secondly, it has to be meaningful in time protection lasts before waning to little protection. I would propose at least 5 years, but accept 2 but no less.
At least 2-5 years at 90%, make that the definition of vaccine and you will find most childhood vaccines will retain vaccine status and nothing will change.
Other pretenders we can now class pre-emptive medicines; beneficial but not vaccines. Seasonal shots is not a vaccine.
There has been no vaccines developed for upper respiratory diseases because they are fast mutating. Live with that knowledge, and strive to develop vaccines that do the job as defined, we will get there one day. This is what we should be doing, not patting ourselves on the back saying we already have vaccines for the Flu and Covid because that is pure bollocks. Hubris.
PS If you can find a finite quantitative definition for vaccine eg xx% effective over XX time period please share. All I find is "boost" or "provide" immunity which is highly interpretive which is not science.
ATM it seems anyone can claim a medical product is a "vaccine", devaluing real vaccines.

puff Level 8 Aug 8, 2022

How has the world medical profession responded to your proposals?

@skado My proposals are what I was taught at uni in the early 90's. Learnt about viruses to kill Fauna. You reverse principals for vaccines eg unless a lethal virus is at least 90% effective, you are pushing shit uphill. If it does not last long enough, you won't cover the whole population. I can recall questions on if xx% effective what percentage of population needs contamination. If 100% effective with R (transmission factor) of one, infecting 50% of population should do the job. Less effective, more percent of population needed. It's a mathematics game
Definitions have changed, many in the 2000's, due to lobbying on behalf of certain interests I have no doubt.

@puff
Which medical degree did you receive?

@skado BA App Sc

@puff
That’s what I thought.

@skado Yes a Bachelor of Applied Science covering many branches of science including social sciences and biology. If you think this pandemic is a pure medical problem and only experts in that field have anything to contribute, ignoring other expertise in behavioral science, safety/ risk assessment etc, then that is part of the reason why we are where we are.

@puff
Nothing I have ever thought or done is “why we are where we are.” We are where we are because life is complex, and complex problems are not easily and quickly solved, even by the best efforts of well-trained, experienced professionals. And there’s a lot of Dunning–Kruger out there these days.

@skado I think we should learn from our response to this pandemic. You have to admit things were not handled so perfectly that there is no room for improvement.
I think a major flaw is when pandemics are declared, the power goes to medical experts. This is an important area for sure, but experts in social controls should be running the shit show because we are dealing with people more so than a virus in how we choose to manage things. Medical experts have no idea of social controls, except isolate by locking down which economically and socially is unacceptable and has proved to be not overly effective.
Let medical experts advise but not run things because as you say problems are complex with other experienced professionals (in other fields) perhaps better able to manage our response.

@puff
Thanks for sharing your opinion.

@skado No worries, thxs for the conversation

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:680333
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.