Agnostic.com

2 2

LINK Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' law fuels anti-LGBTQ hate online

Local News
Florida's 'Don't Say Gay' law fuels anti-LGBTQ hate online
miami

By Associated Press

August 10, 2022 / 2:19 PM / AP

TALLAHASSEE - Research that analyzed social media posts finds that hateful references to gays, lesbians, and other LGBTQ people surged online after Florida passed a law that bars instruction on sexual orientation and gender identity in kindergarten through third grade.

References to pedophiles and " grooming " rose by more than 400 percent in the month after Florida's so-called "Don't Say Gay" measure was approved, according to a report released Wednesday by the Human Rights Campaign, one of the nation's largest LGBTQ advocacy groups, and the Center for Countering Digital Hate, a nonprofit group that tracks online extremism.

The measure, passed by the Florida Legislature on March 8 and signed by Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis on March 28, says school teachers cannot discuss gender identity or sexual orientation with their young students. Supporters have said decisions about talking about sexual orientation should be left to parents, not teachers.

Critics have said the law sends a hateful message about LGBTQ people. ...

snytiger6 9 Aug 11

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Gay is gay though

I suspect the worst hate comes from Christians who have gay feelings, and are complete traumatized on the issue.

But they will always be so traumatized. Coming out didn't really change the way I learned to cope with it while staying in the closet, my reactions and behaviors, so they are now part of me. I imagine it will be for them even if they were to come to the honest realization of how attractions work. They hold in their rage through sheer will and, sadly, people begin to see will as character. The only way out of this indoctrination is a generation so entirely free of need for will that character changes and that only happens with visibility. It is logical that we will get to that generation but, at the moment, unlikely. If not then those who came out are going to be slaughtered. Life is hard.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:680977
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.