Agnostic.com

4 4

LINK Fargo School Board nixes Pledge of Allegiance due to 'under God' phrase

In a sensible move that’s sure to infuriate conservatives, the Fargo School Board in North Dakota voted this week to stop saying the Pledge of Allegiance to open their meetings. The board only began saying the Pledge back in April, but the faux-patriotic ritual didn’t go over well with some members of the community who called out the unnecessary injection of God and the lie that we have “liberty and justice for all.”

On Tuesday, board member Seth Holden explained in detail why beginning their meetings with what’s essentially a Christian prayer violates the district’s commitment to inclusion and diversity, urging his colleagues to get rid of the Pledge: ...

snytiger6 9 Aug 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

SCOTUS, in a 1943 JW flag salute case, said the Pledge’s purpose is to bring children into the political culture.

When I read that, I stopped pledging allegiance. A few years ago I was a Toastmasters Club president and persuaded its members to not open meetings with the PoA.

It was that way until 1953....screwed up the whole cadence of saying it every school day

Bravo! Gutsy move during these times of Christian Nationalist violence and threats!

One more step in becoming an Atheist nation. It might happen in my life time.

Maybe, if you’re decades younger than I.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:681125
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.