Agnostic.com

7 6

Am I the only person that did not know America has a State owned TV? πŸ“ΊπŸ“ΊπŸ“Ί

People are always suspect of RT (Russia) or AL Jazeera (Qatar) but no one from America seems to mention what America true to sell as fact globally. πŸ€”

I was lurking around in some far-right trash earlier (taking one for the team. I wanna know what the enemies are up to) 😜 and there was a who thread about the ridiculousness America broadcasts to the world, about itself.

And voila! It's true. And it's truly absurd. I know I was pretty ignorant to the realities of this country, but damn! If I were abroad and watching VOA, I would be stunned to ever come here and see the truth v versus the fantasy/lies broadcast.

AL Jazeera is an award winning network. Their documentaries and docu-series projects are renowned globally. RT is a propaganda machine. VOA is globally rated within 1% of RT.

[en.m.wikipedia.org].

SeaGreenEyez 9 Aug 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Been around for decades. It used to be mainly broadcast on radio frequencies for ham radios. It broadcasts in various languages, or did. Since the fall of the Soviet Union, it mainly broadcasts toward Cuba (I'll get back to Cuba in a moment). There have been many calls to get rid of it, especially with the internet, etc. One of the main reasons it still exists is Cuba and its popularity with Cuban emigrees who don't seem to realize that the local Key West radio stations can be picked up in Cuba as well. The Soviets used to broadcast on ham radio; an old friend and I would get high and listen to their take on the news back in the early 70's. While they spoke very good English, every once in a while, they would flub a word.

Maybe. Not surprised it still exists, it should have been shut down when the Soviet Union collapsed, but US bureaucracies never close down. Washington is the most bloated waste of money the world has ever seen.

You may be one of the few people who never heard of VOA, and of course it is broadcasting US Govt approved messages.

What it broadcasts is dependent of which political party is in power. Saying it is "Right wing" would only be true when the Right Wing is in power.

@SeaGreenEyez I'm not so sure of that, but even if correct, it does not affect my point.

I've heard of it, meh, like it's progenitor "Radio Free Europe" it's happy ads. Once it's in the budget the bureaucracy takes over and it's main purpose becomes continuing it's funding. It's become so beige and it's content so safe, nobody takes it seriously.

I knew about VOA but never looked for it. It is not surprising that it broadcasts lies. I mean, Fox News broadcasts mostly lies INSIDE this country. Al Jazeera is a good news outlet. But, let’s face it, EVERY news outlet only reports the news they want you to hear.

Voice of America is propaganda pure and simple. If you want state run media, National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) in America I believe. BBC (British Broadcasting Commission) in the UK, Australian Broadcasting Commission (ABC) in Australia; all govt owned (not sure NBC, may have been privatised in Capitalist America).
PS RT is also an award winning network and like Al Jazeera, have a domestic channel as well as an English speaking one amongst others eg German.
PS Wikipedia is not the most reliable source available. Google also with its algorithms will present propoganda first so don't click on only the first link that pops up.

puff Level 8 Aug 12, 2022

NBC, the National Broadcasting Corporation was never government owned.

@mcgeo52 My bad, PBS

@SeaGreenEyez Up to 2012 [liquisearch.com]
and more recent [tellerreport.com]

Ed did not find this info via google but via duckduckgo which may be why you could not find anything. Google really does suck nowadays

VOA was founded after the Soviet Union/Warsaw Pact was realized in Eastern Europe..I knew about the radio section,and thought there probably was TV..though back then not many families could afford to own one.
Btw..I'd believe Al-Jazeera over any of MSM outlets.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:681202
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.