Agnostic.com

9 13

LINK Texas will force schools to display donated 'In God We Trust' posters

A law, passed last year by the Texas legislature, requires all public schools to display “In God We Trust” posters that are donated by outside groups. It’s the latest effort by conservatives in power to shove God in students’ faces instead of passing bills that would actually help them.

S.B. 797 passed over a year ago but didn’t get much attention last year as families dealt with a return to in-person schooling. The law previously said the motto “may” be placed in a public school; the new law says schools “must” display a durable poster or framed copy of the motto “in a conspicuous place”… as long as it’s donated or purchased by outside groups. In other words, no taxpayer money will be used to do this… other than the time wasted by district officials, which (let’s be honest) Texas Republicans just don’t care about.

There are restrictions, too: The posters must have the words “In God We Trust” on top, the U.S. flag underneath them and centered, and a Texas flag somewhere else on the poster. ...

snytiger6 9 Aug 20

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They could hang a poster size display of the obverse side of our twenty dollar bill. That would head off any litigation.
I don't get all worked up over trivial symbolism anyway.

If you give religion an inch, they take a mile. They believe they are doing "god's will" and will go far beyond what is legally allowable.

Do not accept the donation. Texas and its white supremacists unawares apparently do not care about anyone who is different from them. They deny anyone different from them or claim it is all made up by the Left. You can't make up those other races and religions and this is just a start. Someday this will all come back to bite them in the ass.

A woman I worked with a few years ago asked me what I would do when the white race is a minority. There is no white race and I have no interest in checking the stats on this. It is not anything that scares me.

Unbelievable claptrap

bobwjr Level 10 Aug 21, 2022

They must be displayed?

Is is actually specified that the frame must be hung with the motto facing AWAY from the wall - after all, the poster still there and visible if it's facing the wall.

'In Satan We Trust'
'In Eros We Trust'
'In Koalemos We Trust'

In God we trust, all others must pay cash.

If the Government is God, I don't trust the Government.

Ummm..... who said anything about a government being God?

This is about the government of Texas pushing belief in their particular choice of God. Otherwise it would doubtless say "In Greg Abbott We Trust".

@Paul4747

In reality the only God is called the Government and its over dominated by the religious. Funny there is no word God in the US constitution, yet there is one in the Canadain one. God we trust is an amendment. If many people want to trust both institutions of centroism. I know I won't be moving toward their kind of ownership and salvery. Making my own sacrifices, for personal growth, not gross nationalism

@Castlepaloma The motto is not in the U.S. Constitution, I can't speak for Texas. It came into use during the Civil War, replacing e pluribus unum on American currency.

Government is a man-made invention, as much as many have claimed it was divinely ordained. And currently worldwide trust in government is at an all-time low in most nations. And slavery, while it exists, is illegal under international law. The Universal Declaration on Human Rights (1948) states in Article 4: “no one should be held in slavery or servitude, slavery in all of its forms should be eliminated.” Your own personal feelings of being enslaved are just that, your own personal hangups.

Please recall that there are trained historians and people who can use Google Search on this site, and restrain your BS accordingly.

@Paul4747
When the Government tells me what I can build on my land. Tells what work I can Do and can't do Tell me how to travel and what I must put into my body. No other words for it for me, it's salvery. Government can change the definition of salvery or vaccines all they want, they are no boss or master of me.

Seeing as how TAXPAYER FUNDING paid for the school building...that would mean that donated or not...TAXPAYER FUNDING IS ENDORSING RELIGION...same thing as Judge Moore trying to put the 10 Commandments IN THE COURTHOUSE here in Alablamama...UNCONSTITUTIONAL...this BULLSHIT NEEDS TO BE STOPPED. FFRF needs to step up their game and go toe to toe with these cowfuckers.

It's only unconstitutional if the current SC says it is, and they don't...

All the more reason to pack the Court.

I've lived long enough to find little surprises me....but.....the brazen arrogance of these damnable XTIANS is overwhelming. Wonder what our ''unbiased'' SCOTUS will say?

I think we already know, see my comment above..

That law is waste time and effort by Texas, but like you said they don't care.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:682444
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.