Agnostic.com

3 12

LINK Mormon Church's 'Help Line' Used to Bury Abuse Accusations: Report

(Having grown up in the Mormon church, I do remember efforts to keep any child sexual abuse quiet, and also there was a great deal of victim blaming and claims of false accusations. As a child I was not supposed to hear about it, but I was a quiet child and not always noticed.)

A "help line" established by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was used to bury a report of sex abuse that continued for at least seven years, according to an investigation by The Associated Press.

The report outlined how the Mormon Abuse Help Line could divert serious accusations of abuse away from law enforcement and to church attorneys based in a Salt Lake City law firm. As the case plays out this month, it has called into question what information shared with a member of the clergy is protected.

One Arizona-based bishop, John Herrod, called the line after he learned a 5-year-old girl was sexually assaulted by her father, Paul Douglas Adams. Attorneys would tell the bishop that he was legally required to keep the abuse secret because he learned of the actions during a "spiritual confession," according to The AP. ...

snytiger6 9 Aug 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Of course.

What is the PURPOSE of a Mormon sex-abuse help line other than to stop sex-abuse being reported to the authorities?

Oh boy. I am just coming off a weekend of Mormon sex-abuse documentary/drama binge watching. I started out with "Keep Sweet, Pray and Obey", followed by the "Phophet's Prey" and finally the highly fictionalized "Beneath the Heavenly Banner". You see a lot of stuff about the Catholic Church and abuse, but I rarely see mention of Mormons on this site. Patriarchal religions like Catholism, Islam and Mormonism have a lot in common.

I think every religion has sex abuse problems and almost all of them cover it up.

I grew up in the Mormon church but was not abused myself. However there were whispered stories about others who were.

@snytiger6 From my perspective the patriarchal aspect in and of itself is abusive.

@MyTVC15 I was raised in the Mormon church and yes, the patriarchal aspects are (psychologically) abusive for both women and children.

Go ahead, ask me if I'm surprised. 😂

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:682625
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.