Agnostic.com

5 9

The battery on my little PriusC finally gave up the ghost after 9 years. Had to go to the mainland to get a new one and on the way back (a Friday) the ferry was full. We were sailing into the setting sun and lots of people were taking pictures so I thought I'd include a few of my own to give people an idea of what public transportation is like here. When we first came to the Seattle area the ferry system was a lovely novelty. Now, after literally hundreds of sailings the novelty is wearing wearing off but there are still some inspiring times.

JackPedigo 9 Aug 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Stunning! I love riding the ferries between the islands and the mainland. Lots of great memories on the Washington State Ferries!

The most recent ferry I rode was the Lana'i-Maui ferry, also at sunset. Fun! The most economical way to get to Lana'i.

Living off the mainland makes it challenging for getting Prius batteries. My old 2005 Prius auxiliary battery died a few years ago and I had to wait weeks for a replacement, since they can't just be flown over so have to come by boat.

Time for me to look for a newer car, but all the good cars here get snapped up by residents to use as rentals, so I'm likely going to have to expand my search to the mainland and ship something over.

Sounds rough. At least I had a truck (93 ranger) which is still in good shape. A lot of things here also have to come by boat (like foodstuffs and fuel) so prices are higher. There are downsides to island living.

@JackPedigo I don't mind the slight challenges for the peaceful lifestyle I get in exchange. 🙂

@Julie808 Easy for you to say. One of the things that attracted me to this place was being more self sufficient. Now that has become a real chore. It takes a lot to keep a home well maintained. Throw in some gardens and having to do all the domestic chores by oneself it almost becomes sisyphean.

My morning commute on the Howe Islander Ferry, it only holds 15 cars max and a few Walk ons or Ebike ons in my case. I love living on islands and Howe Island is the 5th island that I have called home.

Did you have to replace the hybrid traction battery? I have a 2012 Prius V, but it has low miles for its age and I haven't noticed any battery degradation.

BDair Level 8 Aug 22, 2022

No it's not the traction battery. It's the regular 12v battery which is located under the back seat. It's smaller than the regular Prius battery which our local NAPA dealer had but it was too big for the space.

Beautiful!

Pretty afternoon! How long did the trip take?

It's a 40 minute run not counting loading and off loading times.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:682789
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.