Agnostic.com

2 4

LINK Oklahoma teacher resigns, citing state law requiring teachers to censor books in classroom libraries - CNN

(CNN)An Oklahoma teacher says she has resigned from her position as an English teacher with Norman Public Schools following controversy over the display of, and student access to, more than 500 books in her classroom library.
Summer Boismier, who was an English teacher at Norman High School, told CNN that before the start of the school year, English teachers in the district were asked to review the books in their classroom libraries to see which might "elicit challenges," in relation to an Oklahoma law that restricts teaching about race and gender.
Teachers, including herself, often personally fill and fund classroom libraries, which she called an "absolutely vital" resource, she said.

"I pay for those books. I put books on my shelves that I think not only would be appealing to students, but center stories that have traditionally been left out of official ELA (English Language Arts) curriculum," Boismier said Wednesday. ...

snytiger6 9 Aug 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Oklahoma wants to return to the dark ages, but keep all of the nice tech of today.

ACLU might be interested.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:683300
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.