Agnostic.com

7 23

LINK Same-Sex Marriage Support Inches Up to New High of 71%

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Seventy-one percent of Americans say they support legal same-sex marriage, which exceeds the previous high of 70% recorded in 2021 by one percentage point.

These data are from Gallup's annual Values and Beliefs poll, conducted May 2-22.

When Gallup first polled about same-sex marriage in 1996, barely a quarter of the public (27%) supported legalizing such unions. It would take another 15 years, until 2011, for support to reach the majority level. Then in 2015, just one month before the U.S. Supreme Court's Obergefell v. Hodges decision, public support for legalizing gay marriage cracked the 60% level, and last year it reached the 70% mark for the first time. ...

snytiger6 9 Aug 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's good that this country is making some progress tords enlightenment. I will most likely be marrying a man than a woman. So, the pole really makes me glad.

Yes, but has it reached 8 inches? Gay couples want to know…

It's funny how humans can be so opposed to something, then once it becomes status quo, they accept it.

BD66 Level 8 Aug 29, 2022

Yes true, but ONLY then. At least that often appears to,be so.

I was once a BIG supporter of the death penalty. Then the day came when Timothy McVeigh blew up the Murrah Federal building, and he stated not long after that that he would rather get the death penalty. This was the beginning of a ten year transition where I went from pro death penalty to completely against it……..except for the worst heinous crimes imaginable. I just don’t see the DP as a deterrent and it’s just an easy way out.

@CuddyCruiser I too was once a supporter of the death penalty, but after working for universities and government contractors for 12 years and having a few brushes with law enforcement and our judicial system, I came to the conclusion that our government is incapable of doing a decent job separating the killers from the wrongly accused. You can give someone life in prison and correct your mistake. Not so for the death penalty: [innocenceproject.org]

been legal here for nearly 20 years and thus far (as usual), God's wrath has failed to show up LMAO

In the decision overturning Roe, Justice Thomas specifically targeted same sex marriage and access to birth contol. Will this extreme right wing court buck the opinions of the majority to roll back marriage equaliy as they did with women's reproductive rights? I'm not holding my breath.

If they do, there'll be an even bigger backlash than we have now against the Repubs..

Don’t be surprised if they come after child labor laws or other laws relating to age requirements for legal sex consent.

I can certainly see them rule with some cuckoo ruling along the lines of ‘Well if a girl is 11, she’s at an age where she can conceive…….therefore she’s old enough’. Nothing in this day and age surprises me anymore.

@TomMcGiverin - I have to admit, I am encouraged by the backlash we are seeing in the current polls.

Good. I hope these MAGAT Douches and other clown shows like QANON see it. Boo Hoo waa waa waa for them.

That other 29% can go fuck themselves.
While I have absolutely no use for the concept, what other people do is their business.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:683834
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.