Agnostic.com

6 16

How beavers help fight climate change. Wonderful!

As nearly 40% of the country is currently in drought, scientists are looking to the largest rodent in North America for help: the beaver. Researchers in California and Utah found that dams made by the animals can help create drought- and fire-resistant landscapes.

"Beavers move in here and they slow this water down," California State University professor Emily Fairfax told CBS News national correspondent Jonathan Vigliotti. "It goes into recharging the groundwater and that's what we're pumping for irrigation. That's what we use for our food. That's what we use for our lawns."

According to Fairfax's research, the dams beavers make out of sticks and mud help to prevent rainwater and snowmelt from draining down rivers and into oceans. Instead, the dams work as a natural fire break and reservoir capable of storing water for years that gets released into land slowly over time to create a more fire- and drought-resistant landscape.

[cbsnews.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Aug 31

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I 💖 Beavers

I'll never forget stopping my car while I lived on the river so one could drag a small tree across the road.....

who me?

They are helpful critters and can in many cases manage wetlands, creeks and rivers better than the corp of engineers - IMHO.

Beavers are being reintroduced into England, after being extinct for four hundred years.

Leave it to beaver! 🙂

Unity Level 7 Aug 31, 2022
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:684307
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.