Agnostic.com

2 8

Happy Labor Day!
I had relatives....uncles...who worked in the coal mines in SW Pa many years ago. It was an awful way to make a living. When there was a strike back in the (I think) 30s, the company brought in Pinkertons to "restore order". Which meant they were beaten and shot and in some cases killed. Another uncle died of Black Lung.
This is why labor unions were needed. And if you think they aren't now, you're not paying attention. The quality of life in Right to Work states should tell you all you need to know.

Secretguy 7 Sep 5

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

My grandparents met on an IWW picket line. The union gene is in my DNA. From CWA to NALC to AARP.

My father was a coal miner- he applied for black lung and later died in VA hospital of lung problems; he never got help~ and tirelessly fought for worker rights( we talked about how children were used to pick large " boulders of coal" off the conveor system,,,because they were small.
This occurred also in the Wilkes Barre/ Scranton area of Penna.
Thanx

Yah I know that area had lots of mining as well. Helluva way to make a living.

@Secretguy he REALLY loved geography 🙂🗻

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:685107
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.