Agnostic.com

2 3

LINK Britney Spears no longer believes in God: 'I’m an atheist, y’all'

Britney Spears said in an Instagram audio story yesterday that she now considers herself an atheist. Her explanation, however, feeds right into flawed stereotypes Christians often have about why people stop believing in God.

Most atheists have a story about why they stopped believing in God. Perhaps something caused them to begin questioning their faith, but they only took that final leap after a lot of critical thinking. Yet when they tell people they no longer believe in God, the assumption is that something bad happened to them. That’s it. A logical thought process always takes a back seat to blaming God for some kind of tragedy. Hell, there are entire books written by Christian apologists about theodicy, offering explanations for why God lets bad things happen to good people… as if that’s the only reason people have for becoming nonreligious.

That’s why the Britney Spears revelation could be a double-edged sword.

Last week, her estranged younger son Jayden (15), whom she had with ex-husband Kevin Federline, said in an interview that the conservatorship Spears was under until this past November may have gone on too long but that his grandparents were not “bad people.” He added that he hoped she got better and that he was praying for her.

Federline said in a separate interview that Spears’ father “saved her” with the conservatorship.

snytiger6 9 Sep 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I didn't think I could love Britney any more, but here I am being proved wrong one more time...

I'm not really one of her fans. I am not so sure she is a good representative of atheists. However, I think more good than bad will come of her public statement.

@snytiger6 I don't really feel anyone should be judged as a representative of atheists. No one chooses to not believe and no one should be restricted from or fearful of outing themselves as a nonbeliever. Anytime Britney wants a boyfriend/husband that will take her exactly as is or will be, I'm here.

It's good that Ms. Sprears has started her journey of enlightenment. Why, I decided to be an Atheist defiantly wasn't do to something bad happening in my life. It started questioning my faith in my early 30s and final straw happened in my early 40s. I do wish I made my descision earlier in life.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:685288
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.