Agnostic.com

6 27

Alexandria told her friend Colby about me. I'm going to mentor Colby this school year.

I feel honored. The college mentor program coordinator sent this email:

I have you paired with a very sweet, hardworking student. Her name is Colby, friends with Alexandria. She told me that Alexandria recommended her to be a part of the program.

She has a 3.8 GPA who wants to pursue a degree within the medical field or surgery. Hoping to attend UW, EWU, WSU. I think you will connect well with her. I will have her information with you next week.

Thank you for sharing that you have connected with Alexandria, this makes me so happy. You both are wonderful.

When I told Alexandria I'm going to mentor Colby she texted:

That's great! I'm really glad you got her. I was secretly hoping you would.

For four years running, girls I previously mentored sent their friends to me. Starting in 2014, Elisabet sent Brenda, Brenda sent Teresa, Teresa sent Tammy, and Tammy sent Daniela.

Elisabet, Tammy, Brenda and Daniela are studying to be a medical doctor or surgeon. Brenda won a record $269,745 in scholarships. It paid for her bachelor degree at an Ivy League college and more.

Alexandria plans to be a research scientist and starts at Univ. of Washington on Sept. 26. She won $68,009 in scholarships. Many are renewable.

Since 2006, I have been a volunteer college mentor at the high school. These students are the first person in their family to go to college. I help them apply for colleges, financial aid and scholarships. Most often their parents are immigrants.

Photo:

From left: Tammy, me, Elisabet and Teresa. Took them on a day hike at Icicle Gorge, WA. June 2018.

LiterateHiker 9 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Thank you for helping all those people.

You rock!! Seems you have quite a reputation😇.

@silverotter11

In 2018, I won this Scholarship Rockstar award.

@LiterateHiker Nice when talent ir recognized!🥰

@LiterateHiker see, I told you!

That’s really extraordinary!! I wish you both great with all my heart!!

I admire you and am proud of you.

@jlynn37

Thank you. This is the most rewarding volunteer job I ever had.

You're a rockstar and heroine

@BudFrank

Thank you.

"I am a beacon of hope in my neighborhood, " Teresa said in 2015. "I am inspiring my younger siblings and neighbor kids to stay in school, get good grades- not drop out, get pregnant or join a gang- and go to college."

In 2020, Teresa and her brother bought their parents their first home.

Xians would call you a saint, I think you are so much more than that. You're an example to the xians of HOW to be, and how to do meaningful good.

@HippieChick58

Thank you, dear. During the pandemic, the number of college mentor volunteers decreased from 40 to 10.

When schools were closed, I carried on. Met with Daniela on Saturdays at her parent's home, working at the kitchen table wearing masks. After we all got vaccines, it was wonderful to see their smiling faces.

Daniela is at Univ. of Washington studying to be a medical doctor. She won enough scholarships to graduate debt-free.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:686028
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.