Agnostic.com

3 7

LINK Supreme Court says Yeshiva University must recognize LGBTQ club, for now - The Washington Post

The Supreme Court on Wednesday reversed course and said Yeshiva University in New York must for now comply with a state court’s order that it should recognize a campus gay rights organization.

On a 5-4 vote, the justices said the religious school for now should comply with a New York state trial court ruling that, as a public accommodation, Yeshiva was covered under the New York City Human Rights Law and required to provide the Pride Alliance the same access to facilities as dozens of other student groups. The group said that includes a classroom, bulletin boards and a club fair booth.

The university asked the Supreme Court to intervene, and last week Justice Sonia Sotomayor granted it a temporary reprieve. But on Wednesday a majority of the justices said it was too soon for the high court to get involved. ...

snytiger6 9 Sep 15

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Maybe SCROTUS is trying to regain some legitimacy for their past bad rulings. Good luck with that.

No, they are saying it first has to go through the lower courts before they will fully consider it. If that happens those two conservative votes that said "no" will become a "yes".

@snytiger6 Just more excuses to make them try to look legitimate.

@JackPedigo A part of me thinks the two conservatives who voted "no" only did so because it is close to the midterm elections and they didn't want to stir up more ire.

@snytiger6 Just read something on our paper today which gave details on the vote for the coach in Bremerton. I have run out of free articles in the paper so did a photo. I will also post a link for those who can get the article. I will also send a copy to FFRF. It clearly shows SCROTUS today and the words are coming from one of their own, Justice Kagan.

It could come back to SCROTUS after state Supreme Court and then we will truly see how the other 2 act.

I just posted an important item about this court.

I wonder, if the group had been a christian student group, if the results would have been the same?

That was my very first thought after reading it.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:686792
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.