Agnostic.com

7 5

LINK Yeshiva University shuts down all student clubs to thwart one LGBTQ group

(Sort of like how back in the 1960's they closed many public pools in order to stop blacks from swimming with whites. Rather than let themselves be forced into equality they hust shut everything down to keep the status quo.)

Yeshiva University, a private Orthodox Jewish school with campuses in New York City, has decided to shut down all undergraduate clubs rather than allow an LGBTQ group to meet temporarily. It marks the second time this week that Orthodox Jews are in the news for making the worst possible decisions when they easily could’ve done the bare minimum.

The drama here really began Wednesday night when the Supreme Court, perhaps surprisingly, upheld a state court’s ruling requiring the school to recognize an LGBTQ group, providing a rare loss for the “religious liberty” crowd.

The case involves the Yeshiva University Pride Alliance, which wanted the school to recognize it as an official student group, with all the perks and benefits that come with it. The school said no, arguing that allowing its name to be used by a pro-LGBTQ rights group violates its “Torah values” and could wrongly lead people to believe they support or condone those views. (The YU Pride Alliance says it disagrees with the school’s interpretation of the Torah and that same-sex relationships are permitted in the faith.) The school also says the courts have no business interfering in their religious decisions. A state court ruled that New York’s anti-discrimination laws prevented the school from rejecting recognition of this group.

That’s when Yeshiva University asked the Supreme Court to step in, knowing that the conservatives on the Court were likely to support their position.

But when the decision came down this week, the liberal justices, along with John Roberts and Brett Kavanaugh, gave a temporary victory to the Pride Alliance. Simply put, they said the university had other options to appeal the earlier ruling at the state level, and they needed to go through those channels first. If those attempts fail, then the Supreme Court will consider their case (and presumably rule in favor of the school). ...

snytiger6 9 Sep 17

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

7 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Tiny little government school on an isolated island in the Gulf of Carpentaria Australia.
The notice board had all sorts of announcements on it, community groups, social events, school news etc all part of keeping the community functioning and happy.
In comes a religious bigot (seriously she tried to ban kids trick or treating and then wandered the streets telling them they would go to hell) but before she got to that event she did this.

Came into the front office of the school holding a piece of paper, demanded that the school take down the notice about someone offering Yoga classes as it was not Christian and as a school we had to uphold certain values yadda yadda yadda.
Principal hears the ruckus and comes out. Listens to the woman and then turns to the secretary.
"That is a great idea please take down all of the notices that did not pertain to school events or news." Looked the woman dead in the eye and said, "Was there anything else?" Woman is holding a cult missive she wanted put up. Shot herself in the foot. (after the trick and treating incident the woman was kicked off the island and the notice board went back to putting up all announcements)

Shameless vile shits such as that woman wander every corner of this earth.

Like I said in a number of comments, hearing this makes me glad I left religion nearly 5 years ago.

What they won't do to promote hate. Disgusting!

Betty Level 8 Sep 17, 2022

Welcome to the immorality and evil of the God Mob.

I think this is what's called cutting off the nose to spite the face.

I hope the students take note of how hate passes for spiritual wisdom. Jews have such a horrible history of being victimized but these shitheads can't wait to kick down also. What a disgusting and degenerate cult.

Like Sheriff Buford T said in Smokey and the Bandit…..’What the hell is the world coming too??

Just wait……one day they just might come after child labor laws and who knows what else.

They will come after gay marriage and mixed race marriage.

@xenoview I wouldn’t expect any different from these cuckoobirds like Gorsuch, Cavanaugh or AC Barrett, and…,.guess what? All are Catholics. Makes me all the more glad I got away from it.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:687121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.