Agnostic.com

4 13

LINK How Mahsa Amini's death in Iranian police custody sparked widespread protest : NPR

(The woman's death was "the last straw" of many issues of discontent with the Iranian government.)

Iranian women are burning their hijabs and cutting their hair short in protests over the death of Mahsa Amini, a young woman who died after being arrested in Tehran by Iran's notorious "morality police," who enforce the country's rules on hijabs and other conservative Islamic modes of dress and behavior.

Here's what we know so far about Amini's death and the public furor it ignited, and the questions that remain:
Amini was arrested for allegedly breaking hijab rules

Amini, 22, died on Friday in northern Tehran. She had been arrested on Tuesday and reportedly was taken to a hospital shortly afterward.

Amini suffered multiple blows to the head before she died, according to London-based broadcaster Iran International.

Amini was arrested in her brother's car during a visit to see family members in the capital, the outlet reported. She was originally from Saqqez in Kurdistan province. ...

snytiger6 9 Sep 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yes, finally a possible tipping point. People have simply had enough and the sanctions and difficulty in even living a decent life have put the Iranians in a tough spot. Sooner or later something has to give. Too bad the 'rulers' (like Putin) haven't a clue about human emotions.

It's a terrible world where you can be beaten to death for not wearing your headscarf correctly.

The rise of Christian nationalism here threatens us all with the same kind of mindless coercion to conformity. To highlight just how un-American it is, I'll quote one of the greatest American poets:

"I'll cock my hat as I like, indoors or out."
-- Walt Whitman

The majority of Iranians, in 1979, were pretty progressive. Most of the country hated the Shah and the US ignored that. The majority of the country rebelled, bit a minority within their country, religious zealots, gained power and quickly installed a personal army, the revolutionary guard, a secret police (lots of paid informants throughout the populace), control of the judiciary, and a separate religious court.
Could it happen here, sure it could. The Iranians went around the core military at first, then purged its leaders once they held "legal" power.
Pissing off the US didn't help; add to that, the US using them as a bady to hate didn't help either - it did allow Iran to coalesce around the same enemy.

@Beowulfsfriend ✔️✔️✔️

We should never have imposed the Shah on Iran....it was all about oil $$$$

The song, American Woman, continues to play in my head and has done so continuously over the years of witnessing American foreign policy at work.

@Science-guy I never thought of it that way, but now that you mention it, yeah!

This is a good example of religion being used to do evil things, in the name of god.

This is a perfect example of why all religion is evil.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:687845
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.