Agnostic.com

2 3

LINK Is Tennessee targeting people without 'In God We Trust' license plates?

Do the license plates in Tennessee allow cops to determine which drivers are atheists?

That rumor has been floating around for months, and it has some validity to it, but the full story makes the whole situation seem far less conspiratorial.

Some background is helpful here. In 2017, Republicans in the state’s legislature passed a law allowing drivers to get license plates with the words “In God We Trust” on them. They actually wanted to mandate those words on license plates, but when told that could lead to a lawsuit, they made it optional. Anyone getting a new license plate could choose between a secular template or a religious one.

(Should those words be on license plates? Absolutely not. But legally, they could get away with it, so they did. Welcome to the South.)

That, however, created a logistical problem for the state, because it meant there were now two different kinds of license plates on the road. It was therefore possible for two cars to have the same license plate numbers because they were using different designs, but those differences weren’t always clear from a distance. Bad news all around. ...

snytiger6 9 Sep 24

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

First our money and now they want "in god we trust" on our license plates. If they do this in Missouri I swear that I will paint over the said motto and then if stopped for it I will raise holy hell with the cops. My defense will be "that's my neighbor again doing all he can to get me in trouble." I'll put on a real good act.

Yeah, since a license plate is considered to be state property, you would need to shift the blame.

Typical repubs for not thinking it all the way through. You bring up some good points in your post.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:688098
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.