Agnostic.com

1 2

LINK Trump and his lawyers keep ghosts of Nixon and Watergate alive and haunting : NPR

(I think the pardon of Nixon was wrong, because it set a precedent that presidents woudl not ultimately be held accountable for their actions. Since then Reagan sold arms to terrorists in order to fun an illegal war. George H.W. Bush encouraged Sadam to invade Kuwait and when he did, went to war. George W. Bush lied about weapons fo mass destruction to start two wars, which he promised would not be quagmires, but ended up being the longest wars every fought by the U.S. And, Donald Trump, the first president to be impeached twice, obstructed the investigations into his actions, when he lost re-election he tried to overturn the election, then tried to stop the election confirmation by encouraging his followers to attack the capitol, all of which failed, but when he left, he stole hundreds of the highest security top secret documents, and when discovered did not return all of them, which prompted a search warrant, which found over 100 more documents, but mroe significantly found 46 empty top secret folders, meaning that most likely some documents were already sold or traded, which makes Hillary's storing emails on a private server look like passing notes in junior high by comparison, for which Trump himself said she should be put to death for her "mishandling of classified documents." The point being that once the Nixon precedent was set that presidents would not be held accountable, every republican president since has done more wrongs, knowing they would not be held accountable.)

The building drama over documents that left the White House with President Trump provides fresh proof that the ghosts of old scandals never die – or at least not in Washington.

Watergate happened half a century ago, but its name and spirit are still with us, thanks in large measure to former President Donald Trump. He has not been charged and may never be charged, but memories of President Richard Nixon have been revived repeatedly by two impeachment proceedings and countless other scrapes and potential scandals. Trump has found himself at odds with Congress, federal courts and legal authorities in at least two states.

And yet it is the document dispute, which has been public since the FBI searched and seized documents at Trump's Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida on Aug. 8, that brings the specter of Watergate to the fore with renewed force.

Operatives hired with money from Nixon's 1972 re-election campaign were caught burglarizing and bugging the headquarters of the Democratic National Committee in the Watergate office complex. Fearful of the fallout, Nixon ordered aides to cover up the connection and directed the payment of hush money to the burglars. Discussions of all this at the White House were caught on Nixon's own taping system, and two years later those recordings would force him to resign on the brink of impeachment and removal from office.

But along the way, when it mattered most, Nixon and his crew found that people who might have been political allies in the past were not especially sympathetic to his case.

snytiger6 9 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It’s amazing that they’ve tried to prosecute him for 6 years now and haven’t found him guilty of anything yet.

They have actually prosecuted him yet. They have investigated him, but so far the Attorney(s) General have declined to prosecute.

It isn't a matter of his not beign guilty so much as it is a matter of a reluctance in the U.S. to prosecute rich white people, especially when they have political influence.

I doubt he will get away with stealing classified to secret documents though, especially if it is found that the contents of the 46 empty classified folders found were either sold or traded. I also think there will eventually be criminal charges of tax fraud filed in the State of New York. His actions makes Hillary's using a private email server look like passing notes in middle school by comparison of mishandling classified documents... and Trump said SHE should be put to death for what she did.

One has to wonder what kind of fool, who cheated so blatantly on his taxes and committed fraud on bank loan applications would seek to be president, where his entire life would be looked at under a microscope. Did he really expect that he wouldn't be found out?

Trump is a fraud and a crook. He has lost credibility to the point that he can't win back the presidency, and it is doubtful at this point he can even will win the republican nomination in 2024.

I suspect criminal charged will be filed pretty soon after the midterms.

Who are you kidding, besides yourself? If Trump was successfully prosecuted and imprisoned, what would you say? “Well, goooooooolllly, I guess the libtards were right all along: Trump really was a lyin’, cheatin’, swindlin’ scumbag who tried to violently overthrow the 2020 election. I was totally duped by that retard. Boy, do I feel like a putz.” No chance in a million you’d admit that. Instead, you’d claim he was the victim of a witch hunt. A politically motivated hit job by the Democrats. And that, my boy, is a sure sign you’re in a cult: when you double down on your devotion to the Dear Leader no matter what the evidence says.
Oh, and I just finished reading an excellent book by Ruth Ben-Ghiat called “Strongmen: Mussolini to the Present”. Can you guess what the following list of blood-soaked tyrants have in common with Trump: Mussolini, Franco, Pinochet, Mobutu, Idi Amin, Moammar Qaddafi and Vladimir Putin? If you said none of them were ever successfully prosecuted than go to the front of the class. A couple of them—Mussolini and Qaddafi got what they deserved eventually—but others such as Franco and Pinochet got off pretty much scot free. So however the story ends for creeps such as Trump and Putin is almost beside the point. History will judge them for the destructive, dangerous megalomaniacs that they actually are. And those who enabled, supported and cheered them on will be forever remembered as criminal accomplices. Proud of that?

@NostraDumbass he’s not in jail. Keep trying

@CourtJester It’s like trying to have a conversation with a clod of dirt.

@NostraDumbass

And he’s still not in jail.

Good luck.

@CourtJester If stoopid was a virtue, you’d be a saint. Good night, Homer.

@NostraDumbass

But he’s still not in jail.

Good night.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:688249
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.