Agnostic.com

18 0

Would you date a disabled person?

Disabilities come in many varieties. Wheelchair bound. Deaf. Blind. Invisible disabilities like ptsd anxiety seizure disorders.
Would you date someone with a disability.

• 2 votes
  • 27 votes
  • 15 votes
  • 0 votes
  • 5 votes
Desertkatt 5 Apr 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

18 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Certainly, I did date someone with scoliosis that couldn't be completely repaired who could only walk short distances with effort.

Maybe, but it truly depends on the disability.

Being legally blind, I am considered to be disabled myself. I have dated a disabled person. He was a teacher who due to an ijury could not bend one of his legs at the knee because it had been surgically altered so he would still be able to walk, even if without bending his knee.

Maybe - my ex bf had a mild case of muscular dystrophy. Didn't know till after we started dating. Some disabilities are not as visual.

As I am disabled myself, it would be hypocritical if I wouldn't date a disabled woman.

Gohan Level 7 Apr 29, 2018

I am such a person, although my disability is the invisible sort. Disability is a hurdle, but it doesn't define a person's worth or character.

Deb57 Level 8 Apr 29, 2018

I too am disabled,but can still get it hard

People are people, with or without a disability. And you're asking this question with the assumption none of us have a disability. Two people attracted to each other can, if they want or are willing, usually work out any difficulties a disability may pose.

We all have warts in varying degrees. Your jealousy could be more of an issue to a relationship than their OCD, ADHD, or PTSD! So who has the disability?

It would depend on the nature of the disability.

If, for example, the lady suffered from 'evangelical Trump devotion' then that would be an absolute deal breaker.

I have to agree with that. Never thought of that as a disability. But considering it is a mental illness

It depends upon the disability.

If the both parties can work things together and there is happiness between each other without any compromising then is fine I guess

Rosh Level 7 Apr 29, 2018

What's the disability Christian , Muslim , Hindu , Buddhist or scientologist ?

Well.... I was thinking more in the physical realm lol

Almost everyone I've ever met has been disabled. Some just didn't know it.

We all are disabled to some degree

First, after long years of riding this rock through the cosmos, I find there are only disabled persons from which to choose. The options are type and degree. 😉

If they have a physical disability, only if they don't have to rely on me to care for them--with my narcolepsy it wouldn't be safe for them or me to do so.

If they have any other kind, I'd be careful to make sure their illness doesn't latch onto mine--or mine onto theirs--and drag us both down.

That I agree with. Its very easy for disabled people to latch onto each other. And while its usually withthe intent to raise each other up. It rarely wprks that way

I would add one more bullet to your survey... "Why are you asking that question??"

To gain peoples opinions. There are alot of people that will not date a person with a disability. I get ghosted a lot as soon as I say I have a disability or talk about any illness.

@Desertkatt I undersand.. if you get ghosted by someone then that person don't deserve your time.

@IamNobody thank you. Its just a bit off putting. Because I'm trying to learn how to date again after 20 yrs. I am awkward and quiet to people I don't know. So then I wonder what I said or did to make them do that. But I agree with you. Thanks

@Desertkatt best to my knowledge we all are awkward in our own and unique way. Carry on, you will find your way back !!!

Yes, whether I date someone is dependant upon who they are as a person, not their ability to do/not do certain things

Physical disabilities I wouldn't have an issue with but I would feel like I was taking advantage of someone with a mental disability.

Yeah I think it would completely depend on the mental disability. And the cognitive ability of the person

I have often, and still do.
It is a non issue,
that said, I am the older brother of a severely disabled lady and have worked in the disability industry most of my life either paid or voluntary. People are people, the value of a person is in their capacity to change positively.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:68960
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.