Agnostic.com

15 0

How superstitious is it that office buildings and cruise ships don't have a 13th floor?

Specman 6 Dec 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

In China it's the number 4. The pronunciation of the word four sounds similar to the word death so they avoid using 4 frequently like in hotel floors.

It's crazy. I even worked in an Emergency Room that did not have a room 13

its bullshit

I think the odd mumber 13 is a great number. It's 1 with 6s on either side of it.
Perfectly balanced. So are 3, 5, 7, 11, 17 and 19. All odd numbers and balanced out the same way.
So are 9 and 15 but they are not odd numbers.
Ok, so I'm getting a bit carried away here 🙂

I am not at all superstitious I could not care less about this nonsense.I would gladly stay on the 13th floor and in room 13 on the 13th of the month

I would totally live/work/shop on the 13th floor to investigate. It's funny when the 13th floor is "deleted" because it just makes 14 become 13, and red is still red when you call it blue.

I wonder if superstition causes people to manifest hallucinations...or some form of energy

Oh but many do. However that floor is typically used as a mechanical room or for server racks, security or louvers. So while it is typically a thing that exists for employees, it's often avoided for the clients or guests. No different than a good majority of business modifying their places to conform with Feng Shui. Sincerely, an ex commercial carpenter.

How about this idea? Since the Christian New Testament and Hebrew Bible (Old Testament) love using the number 7, let's have all tall buildings have two 7th floors or two 3rd floors🙂. Just for the sake of continuity in superstition!

This has always amused me because the 13th floor is always the 13th floor even if you call it the 14th or anything else. LOL.

How superstitious is it? Utterly.

My birthday is Sept 13-sometimesI have good luck on Friday 13ths lol.

It's 100% superstitious and silly beyond belief.

Just utter nonsense, honestly. Numbers are just numbers..... I honestly get annoyed by it. I was born on the 13th and when my birthday is Friday the 13th, I get a bunch of superstitious nonsense from everyone.

I think it makes life fun....just the fact that you brought up the question is fun...and movies would have harder time with plot lines if we got rid of the .....dun dun dunnnnnn!....13th floor thingy (thingy, that is the technical term, right?)

Very? I remember as a kid.. Someone told me our downtown department store didn’t have a 13th floor. So my sister and I slipped away from the elders and rode the longest section of elevator in our lives … from the 12th to 14th story! Found an employee who told us ‘it’s used for storage because no one would shop there.’ Hummmm ..thought we junior atheists 🙂

Varn Level 8 Dec 6, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6898
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.