Agnostic.com

6 14

LINK On '60 Minutes,' Bart Barber revealed the cruelty of Southern Baptists

On Sunday night, 60 Minutes aired an interview with Bart Barber, the new president of the Southern Baptist Convention. It was a hell of a get, even for this particular show, considering all the reasons the head of an organization rife with sexual abuse might not want to speak on national television. Add to that the denomination’s anti-abortion, anti-civil rights stances, it’s just not a good time to be a Baptist.

Anderson Cooper even opened the segment saying of Barber, “we weren’t sure he would want to sit down and discuss weighty matters of church and state, but he did.”

If the goal was to present a more compassionate side of the SBC, the interview was a success… at least for a moment. But if it was an attempt to stop the bleeding in terms of people leaving the faith, I doubt this segment did the SBC any favors.

Perhaps the best moment from Barber came when he was asked directly about the sexual abuse crisis.

Remember that reporters found that, over the previous decade, more than 250 staffers or volunteers had been “charged with sex crimes” against more than 700 victims. We also learned in the SBC’s own investigation that a private list of alleged predators (that wasn’t shared with member churches) included “703 abusers, with 409 believed to be SBC-affiliated.” It’s so bad that the Department of Justice is now investigating “multiple SBC entities,” but not specific individuals, about their mishandling of sexual abuse cases. ...

snytiger6 9 Oct 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

6 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

He failed miserably in his answers about the 10 year old rape victim! Add in his shitty answers regarding Gays and Lesbians, he is truly a great reason to walk away from the church!

My Mother never took us to church. She had been raised a Southern Baptist. I asked her, as an adult, why she didn't take us to said church. She replied, "I didn't want to inflict that upon ya'll."

All Religious groups/sects have always been a breeding grounds for sexual and mental perverts!!!

My sister's kids have thanked her for not bringing them to the church we were raised in (Only we were raised as Mormons).

When, I left religion , I was a baptist. But not an southern baptist. Reading your post makes me glad I left religion behind nearly 5 years ago, but with it was 15 years.

These should not be classified as humans. But garbage that has me questioning whether I should support the death penalty again. Because these are the sickest monsters in existence who cannot be reformed or are capable of any kind of reason. Like most child predators or pedophiles they cannot be reformed, and will just keep doing it over and over again.

I haven't watched it and probably won't because I view everything said by a zealot as suspect for rationality, let alone facts, so there's no point in giving them my time. If the general population won't put an end to SBC or Catholic nonsense then it will kill us. Oh well.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:690796
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.