Agnostic.com

3 3

LINK What will happen to America if Trump wins again? Experts helped us game it out. - The Washington Post

The message of prophets of democratic doom can sound over-the-top, but to dismiss it, experts say, would be naive.
Becker, who with journalist Major Garrett recently published “The Big Truth: Upholding Democracy in the Age of the Big Lie,” says he can foresee increasingly nightmarish scenarios of democratic dominoes falling in the wake of a Trump reelection. “It would be very hard for him to keep the Union together as it is now,” Becker says. That doesn’t necessarily mean civil war; short of armed conflict, there are things “that could weaken the bonds between the states.” An example we’re already seeing is the governors of Texas and Florida sending migrants to D.C. and Massachusetts, based on “the idea that states are competitors rather than collaborators and partners,” Becker says. Actions like that to score points against blue states on any number of issues will multiply, and blue states will retaliate.“If Trump won reelection in 2024, how long until California says, ‘Why are we sending [more in taxes] for every federal dollar we’re getting back?’ ” Becker says. “ ‘Why aren’t we requiring the federal government to pay for its use of the naval bases in San Diego and Camp Pendleton and other places?’ … There are a lot of people who would say, ‘Oh, that would never happen.’ [But] what we’ve seen in the last two years we thought would never happen.” [But] what we’ve seen in the last two years we thought would never happen.”

“What if the ties that bind us have become so weak that even that can’t result in the enforcement of federal court rulings?” Becker continues. “A democracy that must by definition rely upon the rule of law … is built upon an agreement that these paper or parchment documents have meaning and we will abide by them. … If someone like Trump … comes into office with a clear contempt for the rule of law, which I think time and again he has demonstrated, at what point does the rule of law evaporate? At what point does that agreement evaporate? At what point do the people who oppose him say, ‘Okay, are we going to fight him with one arm tied behind our back, even though he won’t do that?’ ”

barjoe 9 Oct 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

3 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Not an issue. He’s on the way down to jail after subpoena reply and documents trial.

If Trump won again in 2024, says an awful lot about the democratic party and Biden's presidency. But it won't be their fault.
Lot of talk on what's happened the last 2 years. Who's been running this shit show the last 2 years again?

puff Level 8 Oct 13, 2022

I'd rather not think about it. More pressing things in the near future, like Mastriano and Oz winning in a month.

I think Oz is going to win, sadly, Mastriani will not. Dr Oz has cut him from the ticket. I actually had a door knocker in Philly tell me to vote for Shapiro and vote for Oz.

@barjoe sadly, I think you may be right. I was supporting Federman in the primary run up, but I didn’t vote for him. The guy from Western PA I thought had a better chance. I knew the Republicans would make his health an issue. I sure hate to see Oz get in there, but he is such an ass maybe he will totally screw things up.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:690945
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.