Agnostic.com

10 27

Hiker Pinned by Refrigerator-Sized Boulder in Washington

It took eight hours, two helicopters and special SAR equipment to life the boulder and rescue the man as high winds set in. Rescuers called in Snohomish County's most powerful helicopter to help lift the boulder.

By Pete O'Cain, The Wenatchee World newspaper. October 12, 2022

A Montana man was rescued from the Enchantments after he was pinned beneath a refrigerator-sized boulder near Lake Viviane.

Rescuers used extrication equipment normally used in vehicle collisions Monday to lift the boulder off 28-year-old hiker Ben Delahunty and then took him to a hospital about eight hours after a hiking partner called for help. He was in satisfactory condition Tuesday afternoon at Central Washington Hospital in Wenatchee, a hospital spokesperson said.

"I was sitting on the boulder and it started to slide."

“According to him, he was on the boulder, it felt really stable — he’s not a heavy person — and it just all of sudden started to slide and he ended up underneath it,” Sgt. Jason Reinfeld with Chelan County Emergency Management said.

The boulder trapped Delahunty’s legs and a wrist. His hiking partner called 911 at 9:30 a.m.

Thirteen people were flown to the scene, about 9 miles southwest of Leavenworth, and seven more helped coordinate and support the rescue.

“This one, it was really tricky because they were nearly on a cliff side and the boulder was also being held in place by a tree,” Reinfeld said. Rescuers were also concerned the tree could break loose and further injure Delahunty.

Those working directly with Delahunty were tied into ropes because “they had an exposure (sheer cliff) on the downhill side of a couple hundred feet,” Reinfeld said.

Among the rescue crew were members of the Wenatchee Valley Fire Department, who were tapped to use air bladders to lift the boulder.

“They’re used typically for vehicle accidents where they have to move a vehicle off someone if they’re pinned,” Reinfeld said of the bladders. The bladders can be filled by oxygen tanks used by firefighters.

Delahunty was freed from the boulder about 2:50 p.m., but high winds slowed removing him by helicopter. He was flown from the area at 4:45 p.m. by the Snohomish County Sheriff’s Office.

Rescuers on scene hiked out and reached the trailhead at about 11 p.m. Equipment used in the complex rescue was left nearby overnight and retrieved Tuesday by helicopter.

Participating in the rescue were members of Cascade Ambulance, Chelan County Mountain Rescue, Wenatchee Valley Fire Department, Snohomish County Helicopter Rescue Team, and Chelan County Emergency Management. Chelan County Fire District 3 provided additional equipment.

“I’ve been involved in search and rescue for 15 years, and I haven’t seen a rescue as complicated as this one to accomplish,” Reinfeld said. “Something heavy trapping somebody is dangerous if you can drive up to it with equipment, but having to do it so remotely just adds another level of complication and hazard.”

Wenatchee Valley Fire Department Chief Brian Brett said this was the first time his department had been tasked to use extrication equipment for a mountain rescue.

“This was definitely something a movie’s made out of,” Brett said.

Photos are of the Enchantment Mountains aka the "Enchantments."

The picture of me is at Lake Colchuck, 6,000 feet elevation. To get to the Enchantments, you can climb super steep Aasgard Pass to the left of Dragontail Peak in the background.

This “shortcut” to the Enchantments refers only to mileage. As far as miles per hour goes, Aasgard may be one of the slowest hikes you attempt. Achieving the pass is a thigh-burning, chest-bursting, eye-popping endeavor that offers as many extraordinary views as beads of sweat that will fall from your brow as you ascend nearly 2000 feet in just three-quarters of a mile.

Young people die trying to glissade down Aasgard Pass every Spring. They fall through holes in the snow into ice cold snowmelt running fast beneath the snow. It's not safe. Often their bodies are found after the snow melts in late July or early August.

"The last thing I heard from my wife was her dying scream as she was swept over the cliff," a man said.

[seattletimes.com]

LiterateHiker 9 Oct 13

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

10 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's easy to forget how dangerous nature can be.

Yet again, you share the most fantastic scenery! Thank you!

@BOBdammit

Thank you! You have the funniest username.

@LiterateHiker
Thank you! I sort of plagiarized and added my own touch.

The views are breathtaking, as was the hike, literally. I've seen those air bags used in wrecks. That was a good idea. The rescue was as complicated as I've ever heard of

@BudFrank

Thank you.

Great photos and an amazing rescue.

@silverotter11

Thank you, dear!

It's extremely important to know where you are. I thought I was good about that until the National Forest Service met at my car and informed me the trail was closed due to half the mountain collapsing on a family.
To all of you that enjoy nature as much as a number of others on here do, please be careful! Nature is beautiful and brutal.

Definitely a complicated rescue...great teamwork.

Great Job Rescuers !

twill Level 7 Oct 13, 2022

DAAAAMMMNN!! fucked up!!

I’m glad he turned out ok.

@CuddyCruiser

I imagine his legs and hand were smashed by the boulder.

@LiterateHiker Definitely injured to some extent. But what’s important is that he’s ok.

Wow. Nobody ever plans an accident.
I'm glad he's ok. It sounds like he was lucky.

The most detailed description I saw in the link and a sub link was 'He was in satisfactory condition Tuesday afternoon at Central Washington Hospital in Wenatchee, a hospital spokesperson said'. Wow.

Wow, that is lots of people power to get him off that mountain.

All the more reason to be prepared when we head into the wilderness. Expect a bear to chew on you, a beaver to mistake you for a tree, meese to run rampant through your camp. The rescue workers have my complete respect. Doing a minimum of cave rescue exercises made me open my eyes. We can take a leisurely stroll through the park or throw on snowshoes. There is a lot of awesome people out there to save our ass when we do something stupid.

@BOBdammit I lived in Washington State from 1995 to 1999. We and another family in our neighborhood had Japanese exchange students staying with us one summer. We all took a hike to the Ice Caves, four adults, two teens, 5 kids from 13 to three, and one very excited Golden Retriever. The caves are posted "Dangerous, DO NOT ENTER". The next morning there was an article in the local paper that just after we left a woman and her Father In Law entered the caves and there was a cave in. It killed them both, and took hours of efforts to locate the bodies. I don't think I ever told my kids, and for sure we didn't tell the exchange students.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:690982
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.