Agnostic.com

12 19

LINK Yikes: 45% of Americans say the U.S. should be a 'Christian Nation'

A new survey out today from the Pew Research Center finds that nearly half of all Americans, 45%, believe we ought to live in a “Christian Nation.” They disagree, however, on what that means in practice, and most Americans still believe church and state should remain separate.

The phrase “Christian nation” is not meant to be aspirational. As sociologists Andrew Whitehead and Samuel Perry described in their book Taking America Back for God (affiliate link), Christian nationalism basically represents a fusion of conservative Christianity with civic life. It’s not quite a theocracy, but if conservative Christians had their way, it’d be a distinction without a different.

The phrase suggests we were founded as a (conservative) Christian country—we were not—and that we should be guided by (conservative) Christian principles. It’s not about Jesus. It’s about pushing right-wing beliefs on everybody in the country with regards to LGBTQ rights, gender roles, abortion access, who “counts” as an American, and control of public institutions like schools and government.

Christian nationalists have become far more prominent in recent years, especially since the January 6, 2021 insurrection attempt to the point where some of its biggest proponents use the phrase as a badge of honor. Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene has even said, “I’m a Christian, and I say it proudly: We should be Christian nationalists.” Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has urged Republicans to wear the “full armor of God” as they try to defeat Democrats in the upcoming elections.

Meanwhile, the other side is sounding the alarm. Earlier this year, a handful of scholars and activists met with members of the Congressional Freethought Caucus to go over their report on the connection between Christian nationalism and the attack on the U.S. Capitol. ...

snytiger6 9 Oct 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Nice to see folks catching up.

Interesting that we were a Christian nation that had no regard for slavery , allowed children to be abused and overworked in unsafe factories, basically treated the native people of this land like crap. No I’d rather us not go back

The bible condones slavery and views children (and wives) as the property of the husband/father.

If the people of a nation are sane, then they can hold the government to account and enforce sanity in politics.

That's why insane politicians love insane people.

And you can just bet they want to gain a majority and try to get it on a Ballot...that would be the logical move for them...try to make it some kind of legal statement that basically eliminates the "Separation of Church and State".

The stupid should be REALLY painful.

It's going to be for everyone.

@rainmanjr I meant only for them.
But, you are correct. We're all going to suffer because of their delusions.

45% of Americans are quite obviously catastrophically mentally defective.

They really do not have a clue what that entails.

I agree with you. They will start to realize it when it effects their children and grandchildren in a negative way.

Well, I can only wonder as to whom the poll was taken of. I would also wonder how many of the polled people actually attend church on a regular basis.

Yes, especially when only six corporations own ninety percent of the TV stations, Radio stations, and National and what is left of local newspapers!!’

If this is true then 45% of Americans are greatly deceived. A man I went to school with once told me that the bible was used in classrooms in Washington's time as a weekly reader. Sorry. The Weekly Reader program began in 1928.

Christian nationalism is an important component of the fascist MAGA movement. It's all very disturbing.

Well…..speakin’ of Marjorie….

Stupid, yes; dangerously so.

Seems they confuse these Christian Nationalism as a religion within Fascism!!!

The same way Hitler and Mussolini did not interfere with the Vatican on the 1930ties and 1940ties!!!

Nationalism is a component of fascist ideology.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:692909
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.