Agnostic.com

8 13

LINK Catholic diocese agrees to secular oversight after botching sex abuse cases

Two years after New York Attorney General Letitia James sued the Diocese of Buffalo along with former bishops Richard J. Malone and Edward M. Grosz for putting children at risk for decades while they covered up sexual abuse by dozens of priests, the two sides have reached an unprecedented settlement that includes government oversight of the operations within the Buffalo Diocese.

The lawsuit came after a two-year investigation into the Diocese. It claimed that allegations of abuse by priests were “inadequately investigated, if at all.” Even when there were credible accusations, the Catholic Church leaders allowed the priests to retire or take a medical leave so that they could not be internally punished. In one case, a priest who had been the subject of eight separate allegations of sexual assault was still allowed to minister to children.

On Tuesday, the Diocese agreed to a unique arrangement: ...

snytiger6 9 Oct 28

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

8 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

The biggest problem, for the CC, is that they are losing priests. This issue has become a massive blow to the church and with retirements, deaths and even a low number of new priests the numbers are shrinking. The few left often serve several parishes which only adds to their stress level. Good, let this sick organization go down in flames, of their own making.

the diocese needs to be shut down for good.

Not good enough.

Betty Level 8 Oct 28, 2022

This sort of outrage was being played out in Australia until about 30 years ago. The USA is still clearly a very backward country.

As I live in the U.S., I have to say that many parts of the country are very backwards and some of the people are downright embarrassing.

I have fantasized abotu moving elsewhere, but I think every country has its disappointments or down sides.

@snytiger6 Australia certainly has its down sides. Institutionalised racism in parts of the police force, the medical profession and social services, as well as the widening of the wealth gap by the new federal government.

Secular oversight already exists for these matters. It is called the police. Religious organizations should be immediately reporting crimes, rather than claiming self policing.

Utter bullshit.
The rcc will do everything it can to avoid accountability.
That's what those miserable fuckers do.

They should lose their charter and be dissolved. Bulldoze their buildings and put in a community garden.

So that is why the Vatican had all the dioceses world wide deposit all their funds into the Vatican Bank last month!!!

Well...it "is" all about the money.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:692910
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.