Agnostic.com

11 11

LINK Fall bivalent boosters: Science update round 2 YLE 10/30/2022

Katelyn Jetelina - MPH PhD

Lab studies assessing the preliminary impact of our updated fall boosters are trickling in. (We don’t have “real world” data yet, and honestly, it may be a while.) In all, we knew boosters would help given circulating variants, but we didn’t know how much more helpful an updated formula would be. Here is the latest science and what it means in the broader context.

Purpose of the fall booster
As a reminder, our hope with updated boosters was that they would accomplish three things:

Greater protection against infection and transmission, by boosting our first line of defense—neutralizing antibodies;

Longer protection against infection and severe disease, even just by a few months;

Broader protection or the ability to create antibodies that “see” more virus parts and “attach” more strongly compared to the antibodies we have right now.

My previous science update showed that #3 is being accomplished, which is great news. We won’t know about #2 for a few months. (We are at the mercy of time.) New science out this week gives some insight on #1.

Impact on neutralizing antibodies
Two preprints were released this week (here and here) from two separate but respected labs in the U.S. Results swept mass media headlines. For example, an NPR headline stated: “Two new research papers cast doubt on the new COVID booster.”

What did the studies find? Do they really cast doubt on the booster?

Overall, both labs extracted blood from vaccinated and vaccinated + infected individuals 3-5 weeks after they received the fall booster. In a petri dish, the scientists measured how many neutralizing antibodies connected to subvariants once they were introduced. (They were not the new circulating subvariants, like XBB or BQ.1.1, unfortunately). Researchers found two things:

Neutralizing antibodies increased after the fall booster. Not surprising, but good to see.

Neutralizing antibodies were not higher after the fall booster compared to the original vaccine formula booster. Bummer.

Neutralization profiles of serum samples against SARS-CoV-2 variants and other sarbecoviruses. Source: Wang et al., Preprint.
Does this mean the fall booster isn’t working?
Absolutely not.

First, an increase in neutralizing antibodies will help prevent infection and transmission in the short term. The old vaccine formula did this. The new formula does this. It’s not a surprise and will help.

Second, these studies extracted blood 3-5 weeks after people got the fall booster. The timeframe is important given the intricacies of the immune system.

When we come in contact with a virus or get a vaccine for the first time, our immune system develops B cells, which are antibody factories. Each B cell makes a single antibody shape, and they can pump out huge quantities of antibodies if needed. If you come in contact with another variant (or another vaccine formula), B cells can evolve and modify the antibodies they create for a new variant. This is just like factories that can modify their product on the line.

When the immune system sees a threat (like a fall booster) it wants to clear the threat in the fastest way possible. Responses based on memory work fastest, so instead of modifying the factory line, B cells get to work pumping out antibodies of shapes they’ve seen before. This is called “B cell memory.” It’s not until later that the B cells update their factory line and start pumping out updated antibodies. Research shows that, for COVID-19, this factory update happens at about 2 months after exposure (here, here). So, as shown in the figure below, an updated booster’s benefit may be marginal in the beginning, but better over time.

Fig. 1
Orange=updated Beta booster; blue=original formula. Source: Nature Medicine
Bottom line
The two preprints this week offered fantastic insight into the short-term impact of fall boosters. However, don’t be swayed by the headlines, as one or two preprints are not the whole story. We already have data showing the fall boosters provide broader protection. We have studies showing boosters boost neutralizing antibodies. We just may need time to see the full potential of an updated booster formula compared to the original.

Bottom bottom line
Go get your fall booster (when the timing make sense).

Love, YLE

“Your Local Epidemiologist (YLE)” is written by Dr. Katelyn Jetelina, MPH PhD—an epidemiologist, data scientist, wife, and mom of two little girls. During the day she works at a nonpartisan health policy think tank, and at night she writes this newsletter. Her main goal is to “translate” the ever-evolving public health science so that people will be well equipped to make evidence-based decisions. This newsletter is free thanks to the generous support of fellow YLE community members.

HippieChick58 9 Oct 30

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

11 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

This woman is clearly a foot soldier for the CDC.
It is beyond evident that the boosters are useless and unnecessary.
They are not proving to be anymore effective than the previous versions,
which did not work at all.

BDair Level 8 Nov 11, 2022

They told us last year more boosters aren't necessary. If you want to keep pumping your money into big pharma, go ahead. Don't ask (demand via taxes) that the rest of us pay it.

I completely agree. I am not in favor of any of my tax dollars going to enrich Big Pharma executives for a product they were never able to prove was at all effective.

Got mine last week and absolutely nada. I knew it was working because a day later I felt a little weak while at the gym. At least I knew it was working.

My five 'Unvaccinations' are working well too. There is no way for you to know 'it is working'.

I wish Biden would makes up the minds of his naritives and keep with the script. On 60min show Biden said the pandemic is over and they have beaten big pharmaceutical. Now Biden wants everyone to get the boosters again. Biden also called Harris the President. They are both out of their minds. Maybe Harris has a couple of memory cells left, let her be the first female President.
They are all the same puppets working on the next scam after :We the Government: get over this one.

Good to know that the updated vaccines are more effective, even if they take a little longer to stimulate production of bivalent antibodies. 😎👍

I get the same reaction from a tetanus, flu, or Pfizer vaccinations. It’s a day feeling achy and then I’m fine.
I’m 73 and got a very mild case of COVID. I had gotten the new booster. After two days I was up and on the road to recovery. However, fatigue hung on for two more weeks after testing negative.

Tested negative yet still was having symptoms,what was the cycle rate for your test . You don't know.. you may not even know what I'm talking about...

If you do know, you may think I'm crazy cause you never actually look into it ... Good luck

Disgusting ,this is propaganda. This is twisted information that hides evidence... I trust people who have actual intelligence in the relevant fields.. and they are saying things that this lady is not at all .. she's hiding it ..this multiple award winning microbiologist has said the more boosters the more chance for death .. it's affecting and damaging the heart and brain .. the brain and heart cells can't repair themselves or be replaced

A real vaccine prevents you from getting and spreading a virus and doesn’t require constant boosters.

The data we have seen from the recent booster is showing that it actually weakens the immune system which can make the common cold and flu worse than usual. It also doesn’t prevent you from getting Covid.

Good luck.

Most people understand the concept of evolution which means virus' evolve and so must the means we use to thwart them. It's really not that hard a concept - for most.

@JackPedigo

Evolution. Lol. 🤣No vaccines has ever given 1 million and half Americans a virus before. It looks like the covid is spreading and breeding new strains. Evolution politics 🤣. They are better than what king were, finks

@JackPedigo

The Common cold is a Covid virus… we’ve yet to figure out how to stop that Covid virus as it mutates each year.

@CourtJester Of course and everybody get the cold often more than once a year. Few actually die from it. There are other maladies that are the same non-lethal. Covid may very well go to that level. However, if enough had gotten vaccinated, at first, it might not have been able to hang around and mutate.

@JackPedigo

Uneducated people are funny.

@CourtJester That’s why I follow you. Nailed it.

@NostraDumbass

Show me that the ‘vaccine’ prevents Covid. Johnson & Johnson and Pfizer have literally said that it does not.

Again… uneducated people are funny.

@JackPedigo

@CourtJester And the two people shown demonstrate what this is all about. Blaming others and using the idea influential people are involved in matters of which they have absolutely no knowledge. Years ago synthetic motor oils came out. There was a ton of research and it was found it is a superior oil for some engines (mostly new). The prime element, extensive research, being eliminated shows this for what it is, conspiracy BS.

@JackPedigo

The motor oil was tested far more than your Covid shot

@JackPedigo

Please post up after you get Covid AGAIN after you get your booster

@CourtJester Just don't hold your breath or better yet, do.

@JackPedigo

It’s funny to see liberals scream about the importance to get vaccinated and boosted when the data actually shows that the death rate his higher among the vaccinated.
Not that it had anything to do with Biden possibly, but the death rate went up after vacation peaked; primarily for the vaccinated.

Got it last Thursday. No noticeable effect.

getting my booster on Thursday -

That's an overall positive as far as I'm concerned!
I got mine last Thursday, Moderna this time. Felt like crap for two days. My 2 previous were both Pfizer, no issues..

I did the same as you, 2 Pfizer then the Moderna and also had more issues after the Moderna.

@silverotter11 I had chills, aches, pains, tired and felt feverish, but wasn't..it sucked..lol

@Gwendolyn2018 feeling normalish today..but still have some pain from lobectomy..in July..ugh

Haven't felt like crap any days from a viral illness in like ten years,and never taking a Russian roulette death shot .. no offense to Russia.. though you may like to be offensive to Russia. propanda from pychos sells like sex

@laidback1 oh goody for you..

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:693180
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.