Agnostic.com

15 2

How can we say we have free speech in this country when any one can get fired from any job in the media, private industry ,even some civil service jobs if the one in charge ,or the group in charge does not approve of what you said .

richiegtt 8 Dec 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

15 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

We have what I call limited free speech, meaning free speech exists... until some progressive leftist gets offended over a mere word. Aside from the religious kind, most forms of political correctness come from the political left, as they are the ones who constantly attack free speech. I'm glad Obama's gone, his administration only advanced the pc culture.

The problem is the media picks and chooses who they fire and who it is politically correct to fire An ESPN editor used the often used term Chink in the armor, And was let go .Bill Maher said the terrorists were not cowards .and was let go .Yet a racist like Al Sharpton can say Blacks should kill cops in a speech and nothing happens to him and continues in his media jobs . If a white man said a similar Remark he would never work agin

The progressive crowd makes me sick.

you are not free and you don't know who cares about your speech or if your vote is even counted.

The 1st amendment's freedom of speech clause only addresses the government's response to your freedom of speech, not how anyone else responds, with the exception of all Supreme Court interpretations of the clause. Those would include: inciting a riot, hate speech, speech that endangers others welfare, like yelling 'fire' in a crowded theatre.

free speech protects you from the government persecution. Not businesses/organizations.

I've always been a "Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke" kind of guy. So yes, I agree with your sentiment. We are all victims of groupthink and the hive mind. You will be assimilated. Resistance is futile.

It sucks that we have the freedom to speak-but if someone doesn't like what we say we can be punished for it. I've spoken up and lost a job because of it-but I am a better person for it. Didn't think so at the time it happened but now maybe I don't even think about it.

Yes, we have free speech, but it applies to speech on your own time, in your own venue. Your employer has conditions and terms of employment, and often, these include limitations on your freedom of speech. It's a workplace, not a public soapbox.

That's why I think those NFL guys are so wrong for protesting while on the job. They're doing that stuff on their employers' dime, at their employers' venue, with a ton of advertising dollars at stake. Not a good idea!

When have you been able to say things the people in charge don't approve of at work?
You a stand up comedian or something?
Speech was never really free. I'm black, so I've been able to get fired for telling the truth since I've been working. Ever heard of when keeping it real goes wrong. Talking politics, sex and religion at work has always been risky. I'm sure my grandfather couldn't talk about race honestly any easier than me or his father. Speech is freer than it has ever been. I assume you're not a lawyer because youd probably know people have been convicted and even executed for things they said.
Then there's people like Lincoln and Kennedy... Malcolm X and MLK... Ever heard of Emmett Till? He just whistled. This is an agnostic site, freedom of speech is finally tilting in our favor, you might still get shot for talking shut about jesus but we can't get arrested for it... Hell, the Muslims don't stone people for denying Mohammed as much these days either... I got a ticket in 94 for profanity in San Marcos Texas... Mad comedians have been arrested... Lenny Bruce.

Unfortunately, the workplace is not a democracy. And being fired from a job is not the same thing as being thrown in jail, and that's the key: you won't get thrown in jail for speaking your mind, but you may find yourself looking for a new job. In a lot of countries, you could be jailed.

godef Level 7 Dec 6, 2017

Jailed or eliminated!!

Free speach with repercussions. I was told one time that i had the right to be quiet. I understood that when i voiced my opinion about something that needed to be done and was told, what have I done to improve this... damn! Freedooms... got to be careful with those freedoms... they come after you if you make the wrong person mad saying the wrong or right thing. The reporters tryed to get a soon to be elected president Bush discredited, the story was true, then the information changed and the whole staff got fired... truth and rights... hmmm.

Or who you flipped off, while riding your bike. 🙂

You do have freedom of speech and the employer has the right to fire you.

At-will employment is a term used in U.S. labor law for contractual relationships in which an employee can be dismissed by an employer for any reason (that is, without having to establish "just cause" for termination), and without warning. I hate wiki, but they are correct on this one.

If the company does not agree with your views they can fire you, especially if it affects their business. This swings both ways, if you disagree with the companies stance you can quit.

When you take a stance you must be aware of the consequences.

I hope those companies don't get surprised when there is no employee loyalty!

Most people are only loyal to the pay check!

Free speech only constitutionally relates to the government not being able to harm its citizenry for exercising it. We all still have to face private consequences for our actions.

Yes I m aware of this .but the government can fire you. is this not punishment

@richiegtt punishment would be tossing you in the can,or cutting out your tongue. Take Alex Jones, he can spew everything he wants on info wars, he (i believe) is the sole subsidiary. If he got hired by NBC and tried the same, he’d be fired before the first commercial break.

If you are a government employee, it's in your contract that you can not protest.

The constitution restricts only the government in this regard, not private citizens or corporations.

skado Level 9 Dec 6, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6944
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.