Agnostic.com

56 8

Money root of all evil? True or false?

EmeraldJewel 7 Apr 29

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

56 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Money is a neutral object..Its the person holding it.

False. Greed is.

Not just greed.

@MetalHeadJason Agreed, but to answer this question, the greed for money is more the root problem. There are other problem roots, for sure, plentiful like a banyan tree!

Humans are the root of all evil

Yes!

Not me! Ask any of my friends if I do good or evil. Just today, I finished fixing a broken transmission for my friend's daughter, taking myself away from other things that I really need to get done and I have been putting off, so I could rescue her from having to call an Uber or Lyft driver to take her to work and bring her back home again. Now is that doing good or evil?

Its what money fills people with greed, and jealous i think, money its self its just an item or material object

Money is definitely evil but there are so many other evils too.

I want to be rich. Money!!!!

False, money is a tool of measurement. Power that is not balanced causes strife.

False, people are and always have been the trouble.

Nah... unexamined fear would be I think.

As a thought experiment imagine life without money. Humans lived that way for 60,000-2,000,000 yrs(depending on how you reckon the dawn of humans). It helps remind me that money has no intrinsic value, that money was invented as a tool to keep track when trading things with intrinsic value, that useful things give value to money and not the other way around. People chasing money with no regard for producing something of value is “the love of money”

Why do useless manipulative people with piles of theoretical wealth control people who actually know how to do things and produce things of value?

I am a contractor and sadly, the richer the client, the more entitled they seem to be. They want extras added on (though I use a change order book), they ask for work to be done that is downright nitpicky, and generally have a sense of entitlement that is a bit sad if it wasn't funny at the same time. I have talked to other contractors who all have stories. Do people with average incomes or lower do the same thing? Yes but far fewer. I am almost glad I am not rich as I would not want to be a snob.

Evil is subjective (if existent at all) and therefor the question is an invalid one.

the love of money...and, it is one of the root causes of most crime...money and sex. And Sex is only evil if you do it right...bam!...hehe

A popular current text, the King James Version shows 1 Timothy 6:10 to be: For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows.

Any tool can be used negatively not just money.

I think so-greed

Nah, I'm going to go for ignorance. There has been plenty of examples of 'evil' that were not at all financially connected

The phrase originally was "The love of money, is the root of all evil", meaning that when someone lusts after a medium of exchange above all else, it leads to their downfall. Drinking alcohol and gambling and drugs and sex and other addictions too all do the same thing. When one thing becomes an obsession, and takes up too much of our attention, problems ensue.

Randy

Yes, it is the impetus of all manner of evil. But like every other human endeavor it can be the source of a human existence greater than than the we experience today.

False. Evolutionary ruthlessness is the root of evil.

If not love of it is greed

Sure works for most billionaries.

Well, the quote is "the love of money is the root of all evil." If the currency were beagle puppies, the love of that would still make you want to acquire more beagle puppies that you can use at the moment. The basis of this is the fear of not having enough, of not being worthy enough, of not being capable enough.

False, It is not money but what money buys. Everyone needs resources and and when those resources are in short supply it is everyone for themselves. That is how evolution works.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:69495
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.