Agnostic.com

4 6

I'm wondering whether Superman and the other superheroes who came along in the 1930s had any predecessors in the Western imagination. Maybe folkloric heroes such as Paul Bunyan, and the heroes of tall tales. But the idea of persons not named Jesus with supernatural powers—I think such ones would be looked upon with suspicion, because how does one get such ability? From a bargain with dark forces, and/or the mysterious female powers descended from the sins of Eve, no? Heroes untouched by any of this, who acquired their powers innocently and would just naturally use them to do good—maybe this was something of a novel idea. Of course there had already been figures such as the Homeric warriors, Alexander Nevsky, Sigurd/Siegfried, David, Moses. But there it was more a matter of a righteousness in them that earned them some divine assistance here and there, not so much that supernatural powers were intrinsic to them. Unless you go back to, I don't know, maybe Hercules.

So what changed? Keep in mind that the comic-book heroes came with backstories that gave purportedly scientific explanations for their powers. And, as has been pointed out in a recent book—I'll try to track down the title and author—Superman came along when the threat from Hitler was becoming more and more obvious. Maybe there was a sense of, okay, we're living in a technological age, and Kristallnacht takes place in a different world, maybe a different universe, from the parting of the waters. And are the gods of our fathers around to stop an existential threat? So—human, or humanesque, heroes with both pure intentions and purportedly material bases for their powers are needed.

Still...we're talking about fantasy, a kind of narrative distinct from both myth and realism, and arguably weaker. And it is unfortunate, eighty-five years later, that the resources of Hollywood are now spent so much on the universe of Marvel Comics rather than those of art and thought.

AlanCliffe 6 Nov 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I agree . I enjoyed listening & reading Joseph Campbell and most legends &
myths had a humanistic moral or lesson.
Having a supernatural skill would immediately make them godly - making
not human.Yesterday saw an interview
with Sean Carroll on u tube ; it was discussed how most early religions had a
awareness of God EVERYWHERE / IN
EVERYTHING. And Eastern religions still have this as a foundation.Only recently has this changed to a godlike presence IN HEAVEN - which he made. This restricts involvement with the general cosmos to human thoughts and actions.
I do see a vast difference as myths
and heroes changed- and as others stated money talks in books & movies.
I guess heroes were, but are not now
for the working stiffs.
Thanks

Art and thought wold not make the money that Marvel Comics brought to life would generate. Keep in mind that everything is about money.

So much science fiction of good quality goes unused and even forgotten. Corporations, like religion, poison everything.

thor, fairies, leprecauns, cinderella's benevolent witch? good witch of the east? any of these fit the bill?
king arthur?

Don't forget Beowulf 😁

@Gwendolyn2018 i myself am terrified of chiggers and red wasps. never faced any pretend monsters, only myself.

@Gwendolyn2018 Not me. My chosen moniker, as fans of Beowulf would realize, could be reduced to Nobody as Beowulf had no friends. Unless I'm making an extended play on Odysseus' use of the name Nobody so as to escape from Polyphermus.

@Gwendolyn2018 are monsters not always pretend and symbolic? of course not including the monstrous of humanity we see.

@Gwendolyn2018 i'm gonna stick with imaginary. after all it is the imagination which created the "scary" part of the character.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:695394
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.