Agnostic.com

9 19

LINK Airline to pay $305,000 after forcing Buddhist pilot to attend AA meetings

After firing a Buddhist pilot for not going through a Christian-focused alcoholism recovery program, United Airlines has agreed to award that pilot back pay and change their policy for similar situations.

Airline to pay $305,000 after forcing Buddhist pilot to attend AA meetingsAirline to pay $305,000 after forcing Buddhist pilot to attend AA meetings | A drink on an airline
A drink on an airline (image via Shutterstock)
Reading Time: 2 minutes

After firing a Buddhist pilot for not going through a Christian-focused alcoholism recovery program, United Airlines has agreed to award that pilot back pay and change their policy for similar situations.
Secular Storytelling,
In your Inbox.

The pilot in question, David Disbrow, had worked for the airline for decades, but in 2017, after being diagnosed with substance abuse, his pilot’s license was suspended pending completion of a recovery program. All of that would have been perfectly appropriate… until he began attending meetings for Alcoholics Anonymous specifically tailored for pilots and realized it was a religious organization. The famous “Twelve Steps” include giving yourself over to “God” or “a Power greater than ourselves.” His meetings were held in a Christian church.

That was a problem for Disbrow because he’s a Buddhist who didn’t want to pledge allegiance to religious views he didn’t hold, in a place where he didn’t feel comfortable.

He soon learned about a nearly identical program called “Refuge Recovery” that catered to Buddhists and asked United if that would be a sufficient alternative. They said no. It was Alcoholics Anonymous or nothing. That meant he couldn’t complete the treatment program, which meant he couldn’t get his job back.

In 2020, he sued the airline with the help of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). The argument in the lawsuit was fairly simple: United didn’t say there was a substantive difference between the two recovery programs; they just forced Disbrow to go through the quasi-Christian one, which violated his civil rights.

(I happen to have an Associates degree in Addiction Studies. AA or Alcoholic's Anonymous and similar 12 step programs are supposed to be nondenominational. However, most groups are Christian oriented. A person's "higher power' doesn't have to be god. However many members are adamant about their religious beliefs and insist that religion, and a Christian religious belief is the only way to recover. However, on a per capita basis, those who choose a higher power other than god, usually have better long term recovery records.)

snytiger6 9 Nov 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

9 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why I’ve never been big on AA….👀

AA has saved many souls from death, or jail, and maybe both. Bill W was a Baptist but did not create a religious org. I suppose some overlap in doctrine is worth the alternative. My ex-wife was, and is, helped by GA and I'm grateful for that. Good Karma for this Pilot but I hope he's able to find peace.

I'm on the pilot's side because AA is a basically Christian backed religious program.

How stupid of them. It is not like there is pilots galore to choose from either.

I always suggest SMART for drug and alcohol abuse. No gods. Focus is on self.

That’s the best way.

He should have sued them earlier in his career. That's a load of crap that they put him through.

I don't think they should be affiliated with faith based rehab programs, or at least not make that compulsory. That being said, this guy is being rewarded for being a drunken airline pilot.

If he had been caught flying impaired he would have lost his license and probably permanently grounded.

@Flyingsaucesir They have a 12 hour window before reporting for a flight. My friend is a captain for American Airlines and he told me when they're drunk they call out sick. That's a problem as well.

@barjoe Denzel Washington made an interesting movie on this subject.

I got caught in a drug screening and had to go through a week of 12-step "rehab" horseshit. I wish I could have sued my company, but I wanted to keep my job, wretched as it was. 12-step is based on Baptist values and seeks to replace the 'addiction' with religious cult mind control.

Thank you. I was about to write the exact same thing--but you said it for me.

When I gave up drinking, following cigarettes and cocaine before that, was when I became atheist. Many around me have said ‘god’ gave me the strength, but in reality it was my overwhelming desire to quit and succeed, to make my life better. It was inner strength and willpower that prevailed in the end, as well as self determination.

Dog(god) is the excuse for everything!!’

It is always god’s will!!!

Funny a wife or husband can loose their whole family in a flood, mudslide, tsunami, tornado, or traffic accident!!!

Then state thank dog(god) they survived!!!

Seems if they survive anything it is always dog(god) will even if they create the event or the crime!!!

@of-the-mountain Got that right!!

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:695406
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.