Agnostic.com

12 7

QUESTION Time's Person of the Year 2017: The Choice

The Silence Breakers

evestrat 8 Dec 6

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

12 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Had to have this pointed out to me but the 6th woman on the cover only has her elbow visible. She didn't want her identity public and it symbolizes everyone afraid to come forward.

Guess Trump is on the cover of Time after all.

I guess my point of reference is my own experience. I worked in hotel and restaurant kitchens for years. I remember one chef in Newport Beach, CA who rode me all the time about being openly gay. This was in the early '70's. I had a very attractive partner who use to drop me off and pick me up at work and the chef used to torment him, too. It was a theme restaurant and all the wait help wore costumes, some quite revealing. They were all hired largely on their looks. When one ventured into the kitchen the chef never failed to make some sexual innuendo about them. If she were female he would draw my attention to her and say something like, "You'd rather have a guy than that?" to the embarrassment of both of us. Most of the waiters actually were gay. I knew them from the bar scene. But they thought they had a big secret and the chef had no way of knowing. He assumed they were straight but that didn't stop him from yelling across the kitchen, "Gary! Is that your type?" I would call it a hostile work environment before anybody talked about such things. It became so intolerable I left giving up my chances to enter the chain's management program. I honestly couldn't tell you his name if my life depended on it now. But if i knew it would i go back 40-50 years and launch a federal case? No. It's water under the bridge. I wasn't raped but, to me, it was almost as bad. At some point you have to suck it up and move on. That's what I think most of these women should do.

I support women who stand up to their abusers. But 20, 30, 40 years later? Our memories morph into scenarios that are not always consistent with the realities of the situation at the time. I know abuse of women is rampant and should be addressed mostly by the woman at the time it happens. But I know many of us have had a one night stand that resulted in bad sex or had to deal with harassment at work whether it be groping or unwanted comments on one's sexual orientation. I consider anyone who indulges in such activity boorish. But making a federal case of it? I fear the pendulum will swing too far in the wrong direction and destroy people and their careers as others rush to jump on the #MeToo bandwagon.

Many of these decades old stories were already known. The victims were either ignored or coerced into silence. Those that didn't come forward were either too ashamed or saw what was happening to the others who did come forward and thought it wasn't worth it. What is happening right now is a historical and cultural moment. It is a redefinition of what is acceptable and what is not. Because of this moment women and men feel safe enough to come forward. We have had moments like this before with regards to race, sex, sexuality etc. It really feels like a cultural dam that has been holding all this back has breached and these incidents of 20, 30, 40 years ago have finally been allowed to come forth.

Did they pull their head out of the sand? A lot of great people like Adolf Hitler and Joseph Stalin have won this award. Others great like George Bush and Richard Nixon even won it twice and they even gave it to Trump last year.

Love it!! This movement may be the greatest thing ever to clean up our political system and culture, to foster gender equality, make our society both more democratic and more civil. Keep going!!!

I have two other emotional reactions: (1 I am saddened to see men I have respected caught up in this -- but it is a price which must be paid, and (2) this may be the straw which breaks the back of both Trump and the Republican party. If it is, we cannot thank the movement enough!!

And, given the evangelical Christians embrace of Trump and Roy Moore, it may well diminish the stature of fandamentalistic Christianity, as well. That would be great for our democracy!!

I applaud the decision and think it's long overdue. Sexual harassment has long been ignored, because there were no consequences ever taken against its perpetrators. Perhaps this is a sign that things are beginning to change.

I believe the 21st C will become known as the woman's century. Hope so anyway.

I think the Choice Is Awesome. Have they not giving it to more than one person in the past? Or am I wrong.

To ignostic)skeptic: You simply don't understand: It is a MOVEMENT that is going to make a huge difference in our world -- something no single person could do. Wake up!

Wolrdlywalt, I think you're on the wrong comment, haha.

me but I'm bias

I don't generally care about the award, but for 2017 I was glad to see it take this turn.

I’m glad he lost. 2nd place is still too high, though.

I was delighted when I saw this -- and for many reasons. Way cool.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:6964
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.