Agnostic.com

5 10

A brief history of Tom Hanks...

I found that he's dodged the "what religion are you" question...

"“The major religion I was exposed to in the first 10 years of my life was Catholicism. My stepmother became a Mormon. My aunt, who, I lived with for a long time, was a Nazarene, which is kind of ultra-super Methodist, and in high school, all my friends were Jews. For years I went to Wednesday-night Bible studies with my church group. So I had this peripatetic overview of various faiths, and the one thing I got from that was the intellectual pursuit involved. There was a lot of great stuff to think about…,” he said in an interview published in George magazine.

I'm betting he's secretly agnostic...

Robecology 9 Nov 21

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

5 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Though some of his earlier movies weren't so good I think Tom Hanks will be remembered as a legendary actor. He's really great at playing the "everyman" character... a more or less ordinary person caught up in extraordinary circumstances.

And he comes across as a truly nice person. So, I'm not too concerned with what his religious views are. He's seems to have fairly liberal political and social views so I'd agree with Robecology that Hanks is probably agnostic.

Tom Hanks has always been one of my favorites. I have no clue about his religious beliefs other than what he says here in the interview. Secretly agnostic maybe. I'm secretly atheist and I can identify with his words.

Run Forrest…..run, for the devil gonna get ya!!!! 😇

My favorite actor; I have enjoyed almost all of his movies,especially Money Pit.

Omg. I loved The Money Pit!!

Many people who are exposed to different religions while growing up end up agnostic or atheist. I always said I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to learn Obama was atheist or agnostic- his mother an anthropologist who exposed him to many religions, his father an atheist. I just always wondered if he was just playing a part.

'peripatetic overview'? -- moving around being exposed to various religions I would hope would result in general tolerance (and likely general disdain) for different religions -- sort of a real time Golden Bough experience.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:696587
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.