Agnostic.com

1 3

Today is a Remarkable Day:
American inventor Joseph Farwell Glidden patented the first commercially successful barbed wire. If you want to see examples of that, I recommend a drive south to north in Texas: barbed wire everywhere, protecting who knows what from who knows whom.
We made that trip when Tom left the army forty-eight years ago. We made the trip home to New York in a Ford Econoline van, loaded with our kids and our stuff.
I was driving, with my fresh American Drivers' Licence. The moon was very full and bright over Texas. I noticed the barbed wire running alongside the road and wondered where the dangerous bulls and wild horses were. Miles and miles of barbed wire. I had a strange feeling right then. Why all that barbed wire? I should have paid attention then, but I was more fascinated by the huge yellow moon, And I could not fathom what Texas was protecting. I know the answer now. And it bothers me.

Spinliesel 9 Nov 22

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

1 comment

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What was Texas protecting?

Still a mystery to me!

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:696654
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.