Agnostic.com

4 8

LINK The GOP’s bet on Kanye West has gone very bad - The Washington Post

It’s not hard to understand why the rapper Ye — born Kanye West — signaling his support for Donald Trump would be so appealing to Republicans. For years, the party has struggled to bolster its standing with Black voters and its position in popular culture. Here was one of the most popular musicians in the world, first appearing with president-elect Trump in Trump Tower and, in 2018, with Trump in the Oval Office. A beachhead, at long last, had been established.

At best it augured a potential new political landscape; at worst, it gave the party a way to deflect questions about the palatability of Trump’s and the party’s positions on issues related to race. After Ye explicitly embraced Trump’s presidency, Trump repeatedly claimed that his standing with Black voters had surged, which it hadn’t. But instead of having to pick out individual Black attendees at his events, the president who relied on cherry-picking as a rhetorical tool now had an ally everyone would recognize — an ally a lot of people liked.

Over the past few weeks, that has changed. Ye’s increasingly vocal espousal of anti-Jewish rhetoric has triggered a scramble within the GOP, exacerbated by Ye’s palling around with virulent antisemite Nick Fuentes which culminated in his bringing Fuentes to a much-discussed dinner with Trump at Mar-a-Lago. Much of the attention from that dinner focused on Fuentes, helping delay the party’s reckoning with what Ye himself had said. ...

snytiger6 9 Dec 2

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

4 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I’m rather positive that no one “bet on” Kanye West in any political field.

The best thing for West & Trump is stay out of the public eye. I'm tired of hearing about there bs.

What percent of Christians would actually repudiate anti-Semitism in private? Maybe 15%?

Almost any black person would have sufficed. Historically speaking blacks and Jews have not gotten along, though. Neither feel the other has been an ally.

I think this has changed only in the last 50 years. Jazz is a great example of black and Jewish collaboration. Also, there were many Jewish groups involved in the civil rights movement in the 60s/70s.

@273kelvin I don’t think much changes. Collaboration helps locally but not in general so human problems remain. The 70’s were also a long time ago. People forget.

@rainmanjr The difference between Brits and Yanks. One thinks that 100 miles is a long way and the other thinks that 100 years is a long time.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:698239
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.