Agnostic.com

59 3

What is the main reason why you are not religious?

I am sure we all have more than one reason, but what is the main one for you?

Alexa 5 Dec 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

59 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I didn't think it made sense that an omnipotent being would create creatures in their image and then create millions of species of animals, parasites, bacteria and toxins that could kill them in so many ways.

It makes no sense. Also most if not all religions have blood on their hands, both currently and historically. The christians, muslims and Jews have all killed each other for thousands of years.

I just like to avoid cultures that engage in murder or war in general.

Could be, but I don't think the Christians would like the idea of light cumming from God, in that way.

I believe in evolution

Science is my biggest reason. No one has proven there is one or many gods.

I just can not fathom a "God" would want to micro-manage a bunch of lowly humans. Personally, I would think he/she/it would have better things to do with its time.

I really like this comment

Was programmed by the church. Fought my way out of it over 25 years. Seven years later I continue to live only in reality. And, loving it.

A severe lack of evidence, thousands of years of humans attempts to prove religion and still there is nothing, science is slowly but surely filling in the gaps where a God once stood. There is no thor or zues throwing lightning and making thunder.

Dav87 Level 6 Dec 7, 2017

when I was small my parents never made me go to sunday school whereas every other child in our small town went to one of the local ten churches. Because the streets would be deserted with no one to play with (1953 we played in the street -very few cars or the local bomb-site). So I went to sunday school with different friends a different church each time - methodist, congregationalist, baptist high anglican etc. Because I was an avid reader of any book I could get my hands on I had got through most of the minor classic childrens books and I found the teachings somehow incomplete - not really enough information in the story and a bit dry - I sometimes liked the people who told the stories their faces all aglow and I wondered if mine would ever glow like that - I could see that they were getting something out of it that I wasn't. And still it was better than kicking my heels alone on an empty street.So somehow I never got the connectedness that others had. Also I had a bi polar mother and a depressed, war hero, father neither of whom could cope with me - So my retreat was into books till I left home at 15 y.o. Nothing in the bible spoke to me at all and it all seemed pretty lame compared to the reality of my life and the books I read from the library.

Because I have a brain that works.

The main reason I don't believe in magic is because I have enough education to understand where that kind of thinking comes from, but that education also brings the knowledge that believing in magic is not a sufficient definition of religion. Religion is just whatever discipline people use to maintain their sanity in an insane world. A thorough rejection of magical thinking alone does not necessarily provide protection from depression or fear or anxiety. Healthy, science-based practices exist which can do that, and from a historical perspective, they should rightly be categorized as religion. If my tool isn't doing what I need it to do, I get a better tool. I don't say tools are useless. We don't need the two thousand year old dirty bathwater but we very much do still need that baby.

skado Level 9 Dec 7, 2017

I agree with you. I have 6 year old twins they ask if magic is real. My response is to make something happen you have to plan think it through with patients and diligence. If you want to call it magic it happens. They ask is Santa real so as not to burst their innocence bubble. I say Santa is as real as you want to make him in your mind.

Free thinker

I don't like organized religion because it professes "my God is better than your god."

To be able to discuss whatever topic of choice without dealing with religion being part of the discussion. I live in the south and it’s next to impossible to not have religion be the every topics foundation.

Religion is too full of hypocrisy, and I don’t need a book of fiction to teach me how to be a good person.

Because I can't stomach bullshit.

Allergic to it myself

Control of my choices that i will decide the pos and neg my self and decide myself! I don't need an invisible idea (god) to decide an in general right and wrong without details calculated! I am diferent than you and understand different situations and consequences! Then use it the way i want to!

I just never made any sense to me. It was only when I had to did I read Bertrand Russell and others. I only learned logical refutations of religions to counter the "logical" arguments in support of them.

As a child the bible stories didn't make sense.

Well, to start with, I AM religious: I'm an atheist Pagan. But I don't believe in gods or the supernatural. Religion isn't just about what you believe--it's about your values, and what you DO.

I do not follow any of the mainstream religions because their values suck and they are demonstrably wrong about the nature of the Universe. Their gods are imaginary.

That's why.

I have no Faith.

Religious hatefulness dressed up as piousness. I thought religion was supposed to be a positive. Otherwise, why have one?

Zster Level 8 Dec 7, 2017

I value honesty and Truth.

The same reason l don't believe in Santa Claus.

Believing in a god, any of the thousands of gods, is nothing if not based on fear of death. Primitive man/woman invented various gods to help them cope with death and adversity. It became someone else's fault, not theirs. "A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary".--Einstein

I might also add that I did some quality bible study growing up and so many who call themselves Christian have got so much utterly wrong. I'd cite some examples but I am in mid commute.

I grew up or out of it.

You have graduated. Congratulations.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7019
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.