Agnostic.com

59 3

What is the main reason why you are not religious?

I am sure we all have more than one reason, but what is the main one for you?

Alexa 5 Dec 7

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

59 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I studied myself out of god belief. There is no proof in any of the holy writings of a god being. Now some people tell me there could be gods anyway even if you do not have tales of them in books. OK. You would be beleiving in them in advance wouldn't you.

It is the other way round: there is no reason to be religious or believe in any of those religious fairy tales, so why would i?

1: Lack of evidence. 2: Lack of any reason for there to be a god, since purely naturalistic process explains pretty much everything.(If there is a god, what does S/he/it actually 'do'? 3: My degree focused on evolutionary biology, which included the work of Dawkins. 4: None of the holy books make sense - they cannot all be right, but they can all be wrong.

Nomad Level 6 Dec 21, 2017

I have two main reasons.

1. I just plain don't believe it. I'm not going to pretend to believe just to hedge a bet or keep others happy, and I'm not going to support, endorse, or involve myself in something I don't believe.

2. I find every belief system I've studied to be grossly immoral. The Abrahamic God, for example, is a-okay with rape, genocide, and slavery. And any belief in an intercessory God capable of miracles is a belief in a masochistic piece of shit who picks and chooses who he will "save". I have yet to find a belief system describing a deity worthy of worship.

It's all bullshit and brainwashing of the young. Critical thinking exposes the charade.

Even as a child I always thought, " something doesn't sound right about this". As I got older and realized how many people thought this way I became confused. Currently I have made a decision that I 'll believe it when I see it. I don't need some "daddy" watching over me to live my life. Telling me how to live it. Being a decent human being and giving more in my lifetime than I took away is good enough for me....and it's not confusing.....Hello from Rockwood neighbor!!

cuz it didnt really make sense to me

I read the Bible

I do not like the audacity of religion in the way that they actually think their religion is correct and the others wrong . This is the main reason religion is detrimental to society in that It segregates people in to diverse groups that do not respect each other which leads to wars .It also dumbs down the civilization due to their being satisfied with their moronic fairytales to explain unexplainable scientific mysteries.

Why would I want to be?

gearl Level 8 Dec 7, 2017

Religion is apart of my family for all the wrong reasons. I grew up Baptist and anytime I had a question about significant subjects I would be told not to question god. I was always told you're looking too deep into this. Just believe. That's when I knew I no longer had a rational belief in a god nor the rest of my family for that matter.

Ironically, it was on a retreat in a convent in Stepney, London, at the end of my 'religious years' that I came to the conclusion - over several hours at night and with an open bible before me, and after much soul searching (no pun intended) - that I simply DID NOT BELIEVE IT.

I studied a couple of other religions before it dawned on me that it wasn't just ONE religion I didn't believe in.

Can't give you just one reason, sorry - most my reasons carry equal weight and importance.

I'm religious just that my religion is nature, science, math and energy systems. I worship in the forest, my alter is the Earth floor, and I don't pray to nothing or no deity....I honor the life forces

Wonderful. I LOVE your logic ..oh, I mean, your religion 🙂

As a teenager I saw my church treat a minority family in a very unchristian manner. As a result I began to study more deeply than church taught and realized how far they were from what they preached.

The complete lack of any hint of evidence to suggest the possibility of the existence of any kind of deity.

I've always had issues with certain logic gaps as a kid (why doesn't god appear at all when he did frequently in the bible; why are gays shunned when clearly god made them that way; why do good things happen to bad people), bUT I kept it going... then the altar boy-priest thing happened and I was like "I'm out!"

We are born, in my opinion, like a clean sheet of paper with a pencil....environment, conditioning of the mind and exposure to certain elements shape your taste, personality, etc. CHOICE is personal.

Being raised RC, attending elementary, high school, university (drop out) asking the good nuns, priests why so many of their “stories” were difficult to believe... answer, “you believe them on faith”... failed religion class more time than passed. As an adult I went through the motions, marriage, family... never able to make a connection, still questioned all aspects of “faith”, saw the hypocrisy from the top on down. (as we see in history...)

Tomas Level 7 Dec 14, 2017

Well shit, there’s like 9000 interpretations of religion. How can I be sure of the right one?

I’ve never been one who just believes something, just because you should or something like that. I can’t be religious. I think it’s a biological impossibility with me. My skeptical, critical and curious brain won’t let me. I’m so curious, sometimes I wonder what it would be like to believe in a specific religion, but then my brain shorts out and says, “but what about this contradiction and this irrational concept?” When we play games as a child we invent rules and stipulations that are based on nothing really and we just play the game and have fun. Maybe that’s religion. It’s just children-people still deep in gameplay. I get why the game is fun. It doesn’t take much thinking, you just hop, skip, and think yourself into a magic wonderland. Drugs can do that too. Ancient Hindus valley Brahmans in northern India (in the vedas- roots of Hinduism) did soma, a type of drug. Whatever gives you that special feeling, man. Do it, but be careful. Moderation. Yin Yang.

Wow from Italy!
I’m a third generation-Italian. My Italian grandfather once flipped a table with cookies and cakes at his Catholic Church bake sale, because he suspected the church was hoarding all the money. I was just told this story a couple weeks ago by his 99 year old friend who is still alive. Religious, but EXTREMELY great guy. The best.

Because I've yet to find any religion that fits my way of thinking. I've always been a sucker for logic, and most all organized religions are anything but logical.

Plus I'm secure enough in myself, to not need the "groupism" that comes along with the "ole Sunday (or Saturday) meetin' houses".

I take bits of wisdom from many sources - along with life experience, and gather them all together, and pick out useful ones every now and then.

I just wanna be me... just me... Well, with a little less around the middle, a fewer wrinkles, but me...

If I had any religion it would be nature. I go out into nature every chance I get. It is unbeatable when compared to ANY organized religion I've ever seen. John Muir said; "Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt." He was right ... at least in my humble opinion.

I have read lots of storys but the bible is not my fav as it makes little sence in the real world .?x

When In church I noticed they were promoting things that did not agree with reality as truth. I figured the entire religion thing was BS. That and the fact that there is no testable evidence to confirm any supernatural assertion such as there is a god.

That's hard to say, it was so long ago that I quit seeing truth or value in religion. I know part of it was Christian/Catholic religion's views at the time on gays, feminism, abortion as well as euthanasia and the glorification of suffering for the sake of eternal reward or improvement of one's character. In the face of those things, it just didn't hold up the way it used to for me. This was in the early 80s. Maybe seeing the rise of the religious right and the Moral Majority along with TV preachers added to my distrust and cynicism.

I also saw too much phoniness and hypocrisy at the personal/individual level among believers, but that was just young idealism and being naive because when I got older and started attending Unitarian churches I saw just as much of that. Now I know that's just how many or most humans are, believers or not.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:7019
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.