Agnostic.com

2 6

LINK Survey: Catholics regularly ignore the Church's teachings on birth control

(I remember my mom, who was Mormon, also did not accept that churches policy on birth control either.)

You know the Catholic Church’s stance on abortion. They oppose it wholeheartedly. They fight against any policy moves that would put women’s best interests ahead of their fetuses. Catholic hospitals famously won’t perform the procedure even in dire circumstances (like ectopic pregnancies).

And yet 56% of all U.S. Catholics believe abortion should be legal in all or most cases.

You know the Catholic Church’s stance on same-sex marriage. They oppose it wholeheartedly. They fight against any policy moves that would put gay couples on the same level as straight ones.

And yet nearly 73% of practicing Catholics say they support same-sex marriage.

At this point, none of that should surprise anyone. You may be shocked, however, to learn just how many Catholics don’t give a damn what the Church teaches about contraception. According to new data from the National Survey on Family Growth (which is administered by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services), 92% of Catholics have used a condom during sex, 68% of Catholics have used a birth control pill, 62% of Catholics have used the “pull-out” method, and 23% of Catholics have used Plan B.

snytiger6 9 Jan 12

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

2 comments

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's good that most catholics are not completely stuck in the past and have some respect for women.

How stupid does one have to be for remaining in an org which obviously holds beliefs you don't share? It's like not knowing how a pawn moves but joining a chess club because you like the curtains.

You @rainmanjr commented, “How stupid does one have to be for remaining in an org which obviously holds beliefs you don't share?”

Did you do twelve years in Catholic schools and believe what they endlessly repeated?

Did your parents and you talk about their and your beliefs, experiences and needs?

A room’s curtains are not relevant. Rewrite your comment.

@yvilletom I think my curtain analogy is fine. I grew up Lutheran but we weren’t seriously into it, so you have a minor point. I also got baptized into LDS but got out quickly. Understanding can happen without direct experience.

@rainmanjr well at least your covered “if you’re wrong” and god is real. You got sprinkled 😂. My mom’s biggest regret in life was my sister and I were never baptized. She was a Brethren, who like Amish and Mennonites are anabaptist. You don’t get baptized until you choose to join the church. We never did.

@Barnie2years It gets worse. I was 27 and hadn't yet learned that being lonely will pass. The LDS wasn't going to let me out so I told the Bishop, or whomever, that if they didn't I would have debates with Missionaries using The Age Of Reason as my guide. He excommunicated me. Good for you and your sister.

You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:704572
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.